Saturday, March 28, 2009

Sorry I took so long....

to post the last batch of comments. I just got back this afternoon after spending the night in Savannah where I had to be early this morning. I took the GACE test to become a Georgia certified teacher of Political Science. Actually there were two tests, with 120 questions and four, two-part essay questions. I'm confident that I passed. Political science was my minor in college. I've previously passed the state certification exams for teaching Middle Grades Social Studies and Middle Grades Language Arts. I could not believe how many people were there this morning for testing. The test site serves multiple counties in SE Georgia. Not only were all of the huge parking lots at Johnson High School full, but people actually had to park out on the grass around the school. Man, Savannah is beautiful this time of year. It's just ablaze with blooming azaleas and dogwoods. I would say that well over 90% of residences are planted with multiple azaleas. By contrast, St. Marys may be "quaint" but well landscaped it ain't. Why is that?

4 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Jay:

You are so right about the landscaping in Camden County...a short drive north to St. Simons Island can show you what can be done in this area of Georgia.

That was one of the first things we noticed when moving here from Seattle...is it the heat or the bugs...or do people just not care???

Jay Moreno said...

I brought this up once before - years ago - and I was told that azaleas don't do very well in the soil around here. The few I've seen seem to be doing okay.

I've also suggested before that if the Kiwanians or the Rotarians or whoever want to have a highly successful fundraiser, they could truck in thousands of good azaleas, camellias, dogwoods, etc. and sell them at about $1.00 each above their cost. I'm sure that the old Walmart shoping center would donate parking lot space. Maybe volunteers could even plant the things for the elderly and disabled. of course, insofa ras it would not produce immediate sales, I would hardly expect the short sighted, dog-in-the-manger DMA to get behind this in a big way. That's a pitty because if downtown St. Marys were ACTUALLY beautiful, they would benefit from it.

Pollyanna said...

You know Jay...that is a fantastic idea! Perhaps that would be a good fundraiser for the Earthkeepers or the St. Marys garden club.

Azaleas do fine here...I have several in my yard. I try to plant shrubs that bloom and look for shrubs for each season so something is in bloom at all times.

Where I grew up in California the Golden Poppy blooms every spring around the foothills...people travel from all over the state to come and see the poppies in bloom. Tourists are attracted to the beauty of nature...as is proven by the numbers of people who travel to see the leaves turn in the fall.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks.

I was stationed at the Marine Corps base at Camp Pendleton (Camp Las Pulgas, to be specific) for the year before I went to Vietnam.
I'm familiar with the Golden {Poppy. In fact, I tried to grow some in Savananh omnce, but with mno luck. As a matter of fact, the state tried planting them in some of their right of way wildflower plots, but they didn't work for them either.

Speaking of wildflowers, I've got vacant lots on either side of me.

On the lot about 20 feet outside my kitchen bay window, I had my housekeper plant a mix of wildflower seeds from Lowe's last week. I can't beleive the instructions call for watering them EVERY DAY for three weeks. Do wildflowers in the wild get rain every day for three weeks? Anyway, if they work out and the developer does not build a house on top of them before they bloom, I'll put a picture or two on here.