Friday, April 9, 2010

The St. Marys senior citizen exemption debate.

Well, I learned something new in the T&G article on this today. Frankly, I thought the reporter may have gotten it wrong so I e-mailed Councilwoman Hase for clarification.

He had it right. Here's the language I questioned.

The homestead exemption,
which was approved in 1991
by a referendum, is a tax deduction
of $25,000 off property
assessments for residents
who are 65 and older, but senior
citizens cannot qualify for
the exemption if their annual
income is $25,000 more than
their retirement, pension or
social security benefits.

While he is playing a little fast and loose with his usage of  "tax deduction" (it is actually an exemption of $25,000 of the assessed value of your home from taxation at the city's millage rate), that is not the part I had wrong. I thought that so long as your total income from all sources was no more than $25,000, you qualified. WRONG.  It turns out that if you are a retired corporate executive drawing a pension of $100,000, Social Security of $25,000, and investment earnings of $50,000, so long as you do not have current income from active employment in excess of $25,000, you still qualify. Councilwoman Hase confirms that this is the case.

Now, it turns out that neither Kingsland nor Woodbine have any active income restrictions on their over 65 exemptions. Hase, who is up for election next year and counts among her constituents and supporters many who are over 65 and earning more than $25,000, is pushing to have State Senator Jeff Chapman go along with State Rep. Cecily Hill in pushing that through the state legislature.

Hill is all for it but Chapman has balked. He has countered with a plan which would raise both the amount seniors could earn and still get the exemption and the amount of the exemption itself from their current matching levels of $25,000 to matching levels of  $40,000.

Now, it turns out that the city council extant prior to last year's election voted unanimously for this.
However this year, Councilman Sidney Howell, whose natural supporters tend to be retired union mill workers and not retired corporate executives and who, for the most part, do not make over $40,000 in earned income when they hit 65 and are notoriously class envious, as is Sidney, is against the move to remove any means testing whatsoever for the exemption. Senator Chapman has been so advised by Councilman Howell and now cites that as proof that there is not widespread support of the move to drop any income restriction.

Councilman Howell is, of course, not up for re-election next year, but it is widely believed that his wife Rindy, the director of the St. Marys Senior Center and a former (and perhaps current?) local political liason of Senator Chapman, will be running this year to unseat State Representative Hill. Hill and Chapman are not big buds.

Chapman's ostensible real objection is the lost revenues. Councilwoman Hase tells me that their stats show that eliminating the means test altogether would cost the city of St. Marys approximately $75,000 annually at the current millage rate. She counters that we would not be at a disadvantage when retiring seniors looking to move here inquire about the tax situations in the three cities.

So, what do you folks think about this?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a St Marys homeowner over 65, who sometimes earns more than $25,000, but sometimes depends solely on social security, pensions, and dividends of well over $25,000. I do not understand why being old makes me entitled to property tax breaks. I needed tax relief when I had children to raise, pay their medical and dental bills, and save for their education. Without children, I would have still need to provide for my own old age as well as assist aging relatives. As for old people moving to St Marys because of a property tax break-- face it, Deborah: the real estate party is over. According to The Economist, April 3rd-9th, page 13, "Recession has slowed the rush to sun and sprawl. People are mocing out of Florida and into North Dakota." If they know it in England, you should be able to look at the empty buildings and "For Sale" signs in St Marys, and catch a clue.
Cassandra

Jay Moreno said...

While all of that may be true, there probably are actually some retirees who woulkd choose ot live in Camden but in Kingsland, or even conceivably in Woodbine (though why I couldn't tell you) over St. Marys becaUse of that tax issue.

But you raise an interesting point. Folks, what is y'all's opinion on the rationale behind giving any kind of breaks - from tax breaks to senior citizens' discounts at the register - for people over a certain age?

What is it or should it be based upon?

Anonymous said...

Should be based on age alone, 65 and over. And Jay, I would not live in St. Marys if they gave me a nice home for free. The politics and the snobbish people in general are not what I want to live the rest of my life amongst. I lived there for one year and could not wait to get out of that town.

Jay Moreno said...

Could you articulate just exactly what interactions you had (or not) with the "snobbish" people that forced you to leave?

I'm truly mystified by that. I've lived here 17 years come August 3rd. I've never been through the gate at Osprey Cove (nor tried) and really don't care what goes on behind them.

Moreover, I've been a guest in the homes of precisely 2 couples. I've been invited to one holiday party.

However, it doesn't bother me. The older I get, the more I appreciate what a gift self-sufficiency truly is.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chapman!! Hill just wants to give more gifts to her wealthy friends. I don't care who runs.... I'm voting for anyone other than Hill.