Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Close call for Cojack!

About 10:15 this morning, I was out taking CJ for his daily walk around around the neighborhood.
As we approached one house, I saw a little girl about 4 o 5 out playing on the lawn. When she saw CJ, she began smiling and waving. Kids love him and vice versa. As we got closer, she opened the front door to her house.

Out charged a large dog that looked to me like a cross between a boxer and a pit bull. He outweighed CJ by better than 2 to 1. I could tell by the dog's posture that trouble was imminent.

I quickly pulled CJ in and jerked him up into my lap just as the other dog got to us. Without hesitation, the dog went for CJ. They were muzzle to muzzle with teeth bared. I yelled at the dog and put my left hand in between their faces.

At that time, the woman of the house ran out and pulled her dog off. She was of course apologizing profusely. I told her it was okay, put CJ back on the ground, and rolled on.

Then I noticed the blood on my left hand. My first thought was to examine C J for any injury. He was fine and acting like nothing had happened. That's when I realized that my left thumb was punctured in two places.

I rolled back to the curb in front of the woman's house and called until she came out.  She assured me that the dog had his rabies shot. She offered to go get the records, but I told her I would take her word for it.
She got some of those pre-moistened wipes and a band-aid and I got cleaned up and bandaged. I don't think there was any real negligence. In truth, I think that the little girl probably innocently let the dog out to show it to me or to have it "play" with my dog.

The mother said the dog was a pound dog that the pound said was part boxer and part collie. I think the pound hides pit bull genes to improve the chances of adoption. It sure looked like boxer and pit bull to me - and acted like it.

I'm obviouslyy going to have to start carrying some protection on our walks. I'm debating whether to go with a taser or pepper spray. I personally woud like to see the pit bull breed spayed and neutered to extinction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the pepper spray works better, the dog will usually run off then, the tasor will only make him more angry. Since he is a house dog and he has his shots you should be ok. boil out the punchers with vingar or peroxide.

Anonymous said...

that vingar works better than Windex.

Jay Moreno said...

I would hate to pepper spray CJ inthe course of spraying the attacking dog, but I guess that's better than having him killed.

If you tased the attacking dog once it had his teeth in him, I would imagine it would end up shocking both of them.

The sad thing is that CJ is so friendly with everybody and everything that he always tries to make friends right up until the last second.

However, once he realizes that the other dog has malicious intentions, man, it's like Jekyll and Hyde. He's agrressive as hell once attacked and absolutely fearless. That's why I snatched him up into my lap.

Once at the vets, one of those weird looking French bulldogs got in his face and he damn neearly took its face off.

Another time, on a walk, a loose pug came running over. CJ of course thought, OH, boy here comes a play mate. However, once the pug attacked, CJ tore his ass up. It's the Jack Russell in him.

I sometimes think the only cure for an attacking pit bull might be a couple of .45 ACP rounds, though.