Sunday, May 2, 2010

Two nice Sunday afternoon events.

About 2:45, I arrived at the Howard Gilman Memorial Park where there are also no van accessible disabled parking places. I was there for the "Country Sunday in the Park" event organized by the DDA Director, Alyce Thornhill, who doubles as the  talent booker for the DMA. For the hour I stayed, I really enjoyed it. I found a spot under the shade of an oak tree where the onshore breeze kept the temperature just right. The musicians, who were playing for free, were quite talented. Apparently, these guys play together on Mondays - in Woodbine, I think. By the way, the 85 to 100 people in attendance were easily 95% 60 years-old and up.

I got my first up-close look at the pavillion or band-shell or whatever we are calling that thing. I can readily see where it would cost $360,000. That thing could  withstand a nuclear attack. A hurricane would not phase it.

At any rate, I left at 3:45 to attend the 4:00 PM dedication and tour of the new St.Marys Middle School.
That is a beautiful school, inside and out. I'm glad not only to see what my ESPLOST taxes helped build but also of my support fot the last ESPLOST. It is already full to it's designed capacity of 725.

Royal Weaver and his campaign minder were there. No sign of Gary Blount, the candidate, just Gary Blount the Assistant School Superintendent.

I met Rep. Cecily Hill and School Superintendent Will Hardin for the first time. Of course I put in a plug for myself!

When I passed back by the park after the school tour, it was five fiften and the musicians were still playing to a smaller crowd - even though they were only sheduled to play until 5:00. I recommend y'all check this out if they do it again.

No comments: