Thursday, December 10, 2009

That was a good one, Herb!

An hour or so ago, I ran into Camden County Board of Education Chairman Herb Rowland down at Walmart. He was just ahead of me in line 12, the famous "speedy service" line. Herb was telling me that the apartments going up behind my place came as a complete surprise to the board, given the years that passed between approval and initiation. They of course have no idea how many school aged kids will live there, but the good news is that, so far as elementary students are concerned, they are in the zone for the new St. Marys Elementary School, which should have ample space. By the way, that school, which Herb assures me was built entirely with state and federal funds (Camden taxpayers will only pay to furnish it - and that with ESPLOST funds) is on schedule to open when the kids come back from Christmas recess. As he was leaving, he looked at his receipt and said with a wry grin, "How about that. I had exactly 20 items." Being that it was a little past my afternoon snack time, I missed it. I've eaten now: that was a good one, Herb. Glad to know that you are a regular reader.

No comments: