Thursday, November 26, 2009

Black Thursday at Aunt B's!

Between 10:30 and 3:00 today, the guys and gals at Aunt B's sold 805 dinners! That does not count the dozens of children under 3 who ate for free. By 2:40, customers had consumed every last morsel of the 39 large turkeys the ladies had roasted! When I made my first attempt at 12:45, the line was out the door and down to the Zoot Suit shop. I deferred and went down to the waterfront to see how big a deal the Thanksgiving yachtsmens' dinner was. More about that later. When I came back about 1:45. the line was not quite to the end of Aunt B's building. I went ahead and got into line. When I got to the cashier, she told me that the line had started forming at 10:00. By 11:00 or so, it was out the door and down to Mail-n'-More. There's no doubt the ladies were a bit surprised, and pleasantly so. I saw gobs of people there who were there today for the first time. Before you folks with JDS ask, here's how I know. I was seated on the row closest to the front serving line and right at the end of the line. A rather high percentage of people did not know that the waitresses served the drinks, where the silverware was, etc. I guess the advertising in the T&G, on K-Bay, and my free running of their menu a couple of times really paid off. It could not have happened to nicer folks. Needless to say, the food was delicious, as always. Aunt B's will be closed tomorrow for a well deserved rest but open again on Saturday. Oh, and just a suggestion for some customers: Next year, have the fore thought to arrive with adequate cash and leave the time-consuming credit cards in your wallet. Those of us who already do would appreciate it.

2 comments:

Jay Moreno said...

Lover of Bs said...
So Cathy are we doing Christmas or some appropriate southern meal for New Years? Glad to hear the response was good! I have gone to Jekyll Island Hotel for the last number of years. Maybe a new tradition is forthcoming..... Keep up the great work Aunt Bs!

Jay Moreno said...

Actually, I had to transfer that last comment from the post on UGA where the commenter accidentally posted it.

I'm pulling for New Years Day. Some good hoppin'John with real smoked hog jowl comes to mind.

By the way, when I was there Thursday, Cathy briefly stuck her head out of the kitchen. I just grinned. She had PLANNED on being home cooking dinner for her family. She told mne she had 35 guests waiting back at the house. Janie was there in the kitchen too. They obviously had to call all hands to general quarters. There was even one guy there busing tables who appeared to be a customer volunteer.

Believe it or not, they had originally planned on closing at 2:00 but extended it to 3:00. Obviously, they coild have gone until 5:00. Hopefully, next year they will.

If they do, they might want to consider a strategy for spreading the customers out into the later hours. Here's one thought. For everyone arriving AT THE REGISTER between 2:00 PM and 5:00 PM, give them a coupon good for a 10% discount on their next meal at Aunt B's. Naturally, you would have to include that info in your ads.