Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Indigo snake population in decline.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2009-11-18/story/in_southeast_georgia_cj_the_research_dog_sniffs_out_reptiles Just a couple of months ago, I went out to retrieve my mail one drizzly afternoon. There was a juvenile Indigo snake in my front flowerbed. It was about three feet long. Strangely, it was not at all alarmed by my presence. We just eyeballed each other at a distance of about 4 feet for a minute or two. I was not aware that they were so endangered. I've seen about a dozen in my lifetime. They have an unusual habit of occasionally raising about 40% of their body length straight up and looking around. I've seen them do this twice over the years, including one that probably went 6 to 7 feet on the rifle range at Parris Island.

No comments: