Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ooohwee! Aunt B's is not only hitting on all cylinders but on full afterburner today!

Man, the turkey and dressing was delicious. That's about as good as corn bread sage dressing gets! And delicious turkey gravy, oh my! I asked one of the guys bringing out the food how many turkeys it takes to feed the Sunday crowd. He told me that today,they roasted 16, large, whole turkeys. I'm not sure how much they weighed, but at 20 lbs apiece, that could be 320 lbs of turkey! Man, the steam table was literally steaming from one end to the other. Everything that should be hot was hot: everything that should be cold was cold. The butter beans were cooked just right. The black-eyed peas were seasoned with a smoked ham hock and cooked down to where they form their own pea gravy. Man, are they good like that over rice. Try 'em over rice with a dollop of stewed tomatoes on top. Man, that is tasty. The mustard greens were delicious. The peach cobbler had just the right ratio of peaches to crust - and oh, that crust! That's just what I had. Everything was just so perfect today that I thought maybe the head cook was back from her injury. But no, out popped co-owner Cathy Gentry in her apron. That explained it. Of course, there was fried chicken, baked chicken, barbecued chicken, smoked dinner sausage, Salisbury steak, fried okra, their signature macaroni and cheese, butter beans, white shoe peg corn, black eyed peas, steamed white rice, Kentucky Wonder pole beans, boiled cabbage, stewed crook necked squash, and I'm sure I've missed some. Oh, and first, there's the always fresh salad bar. For instance, the iceberg lettuce, always chopped to a convenient size, is chopped fresh from whole heads right there in the kitchen every morning. None of that wilting bagged lettuce. Killer chicken salad. Then there is the dessert bar. There's always that delicious peach cobbler. Then there's the killer, fresh-baked pound cake as well as several other baked sheet pan desserts. Folks, I'm telling you, if you are not one of the hundreds eating Sunday dinner in their spacious facility, you are not getting the full measure of your enjoyment of the weekend! And no, I don't get free meals or any special discounts. I just appreciate good people putting out exceptionally good, genuine Southern food at a fair price. 11/02: I knew I forgot something: their traditional Southern sweet potato souffle with the marshmallow crust. It's goes great with any of their pork entrees.

No comments: