Wednesday, November 18, 2009

New Italian restaurant coming to St. Marys.

Even as I write this, folks from Brunswick are hard at work remodeling the last Sweetest Things location. As soon as Cathy Gentry told me they were from Brunswick and calling the place "Matt's Italian Restaurant," I immediately thought of Matteo's in Brunswick. I just called Matteo's: it's not them - darn it. My guess is that it will open around the 1st of December, if not sooner. 11/19 @ 8:08 AM: Correction: It is them! The woman I talked to at matteo's in Brunswick failed to mention that they were the new owners of Matteo's in Brunswick. Matt Zangla is the son of the original owners. He has managed the original Matteo's for years. Trust me - it will be great!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Likely the folks that formerly owned Matteo's in Brunswick. They sold out to the present ones about a year ago.

Jay Moreno said...

Aha - that may be it! I suspect that you may be right because Matteo is Italina for Mathew and thed new place si to be called "Matt's." When I asked Cathy to describe the guy she talked to,it sure sounded like the 50ish-year-old son of the founding old Italian couple from Matteo's. I believe his name is Matthew. I sure do hope that you're right.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me, we need a great Italian restaurant in town. Good location as well.

Anon #23

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is Matt from the original Matteo's restaurant in Bwk. I saw him at City Hall a few days ago. My mom worked for him at the original Matteo's on 341 near Winn Dixie.

Anonymous said...

Matthew Zangla .

Jay Moreno said...

Outstanding. I can almost taste those little killer garlic rolls with a bowl of that imncomparable, freshly-made minestrone, followed by terrific egg plant parmesan. A welcome gastronomic addition to the St. Marys dining scene for sure!

That will give us home cooking, Italian, and Japanese within about 100 yards. Now if we could just get a good seafood restaurant with southern style seafood in that area. And perhaps a good steakhouse.

Anonymous said...

I love Matteo's! This is great news!!!