Friday, March 12, 2010

Now, before you even go there, consider this:

If you finance a Camden County impact fee of $2,105 at 5% for 30 years, the monthly payment on that amount is only $11.30. If an additional $11.30 will kill the deal, you were really not yet in a position to buy a house anyway.

I am of course referring to the accurate, though far from complete, quote in today's T&G of my remarks at the hearing on the suspension of the county impact fees held recently in front of the Planning and Development Board.

In my complete statement, I made it clear that I realized that there is no such thing a a newly constructed $100,000 house anymore and went on to point out that on a more typical $200,000 house, the impact fee constitutes a mere 1.05 % of the purchase price.

And no, my remaining hair was not on fire when I made those comments. :-)

The reported quote:

Also speaking during the
first hearing, St. Marys resident
Jay Moreno said he
believed that the $2,000 impact
would never deter
someone who was intending
to build a new home.

“I spent $2,000 on a fence
in my back yard. It was just
a regular fence for my dog.
If $2,000 is critical in the
decision to build or not,
that person has no business
building a new home. It’s
hard to build a home for
under $200,000 these days,
but even for a $100,000 new
home, that’s only 2.105 percent
of the total cost of construction,”
Moreno said.

Tribune and Georgian, 3/12/10, page 12-A.

I would note also that if, indeed, banks are requiring a 25% downpayment, 25% of $2,105.00 is $526.25. Again, if an extra $526.25 on the downpayment is keeping you out of the housing market, you're not ready yet. My word, a family of four would not have to skip very many trips to a restaurant or eat too many Tuna Helper dishes before they would have saved $526.25. Gimme a break, Charlene!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If they do pass this and give back the money for the fees in 2009, can everyone who bought from these builders last year expect MY money back i bought a house that was built in july of 09 or would i have to take them to court.
we agreed on what the price of home
using 2015.00 inpact fee and agreed with his profit.
why is county tring to give them 2,000.00 for in profit.