Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A bit too much wildlife for my tastes.

I've been down with what I think was garden variety flu (as opposed to H1N1) since Saturday. Now, usually, my Scottish housekeeper, Sarah, changes my bed linens every Friday. However, because they had been soaked nightly in sweat until my fewer finally broke last night, I asked her to change them this morning.

When she started to change them, I was in my power chair, sitting over in the corner of the bedroom, sipping on my mornign glass of Spicy Hot V-8 juice and telling her about something-or-other when she let out this blood curdling scream and jumped back from the bed.  She was staring intently at the pillow and saying "Oh, God what is that? " Cojack immediately went on full alert. The way she was acting, my first thought was that it was a big spider - she hates spiders. However, when she gingerly flipped up the pillow, to my utter amazement, it was a scorpion! Cojack immediately lunged for it. Fortunately, I was able to grab his collar in mid lunge or he surely would have been stung. The thing was only about two inches long, but it was in classic scorpion defensive posture with tail arched and stinger cocked and ready.

 I told Sarah to hand me a shoe. I meant one of mine, but she quickly took off one of her Reboks and handed it to me. Several whacks got him onto the carpet where I finally convinced Sarah to rub him out with the shoe she still had on. 

That was my first - and hopefully last - scorpion encounter in this part of the country. Has anyone else encountered scorpions around here?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We see them a couple times a year. They are noramlly 1-2 inches long. We see them in the shower or under the couch (already dead).

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks. I did a little research. Apparently, that's about as big as the species we have ever gets. Given that Savannah, Jx, and St.Marys are the only places I've ever lived, (except while active duty USN), I'm realy surprized that this is the first time I've seen one in 62 years - and in my bed, no less!

Ronnie said...

Yep, I've seen them in our house too. I usually see them after I've had pinestraw spread around the yard. Yes, they are an alarming sight. I DON'T like these guys.

Anonymous said...

Yes there are very present in the area. I have lived here 9 years, and have been biten twice by the little bastards. It is like a double bee sting. Goes away after a few days. I took a bendryal (sp?) that seemed to help.

Anno #23

Anonymous said...

Damn, man. You killed my trained scorpion.

Jay Moreno said...

Sorry, Alex.