Saturday, March 6, 2010

Que pasa with a V-22 Osprey landing in St.Marys?

I was out in the yard just now with Cojack when I heard what sounded like a CH-53 helicopter. I looked over towards the airport just in time to see a V-22 tilt-rotor with his rotors in the horizontal position appearing to approach for a landing. I had no sooner sat down to type this than I heard it again. Man, they are LOUD. Forget stealth! By the time I got back in the back yard, it had reverted it's rotors to the vertical level flight configuration and was headed west over Hwy 40 at about 1,000 feet. Now that I've seen and heard it, I realize that that is what passed low over my house about 1900 HRS a couple of nights ago. Anyone know and free to say what they are up to? Okay, it now appears that they are making wide circles and practicing touch-and-go-landings. With this being a Saturday, does anyone know if any USMC Reserve units have V-22s yet? It seems a little early for that. Man, there is no mistaking the profile of that ungainly looking beast. Sunday afternoon: That V-22 is back at it today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Driving by the airport on Douglas Drive earlier and saw people pulled off to the side.There was a bunch of smoke and stuff. My son loves planes etc.. so we pulled over and asked the other on-lookers. Said it was some kind of Marine exercise.

Jay Moreno said...

Interesting. I wonder if they were embarking Marines, flying a wide loop, then returning to the airport to disembark them and embark more? They were here for a good 45 minutes to an hour.

Anonymous said...

Surley you jest. That airport is a risk to the base. Can't have that used. Got to close that sucker down. Hase and crew will put a stop to that. Can you imagine the idea of the govt. using the airport that is a risk to the base? Hasn't the govt. hear?

Jay Moreno said...

I'm guessing that neither the pilot nor co-pilot were Jihadists.

Anonymous said...

"I'm guessing that neither the pilot nor co-pilot were Jihadists."

But the base and our pols have been trying to tell us that it's a safety issue not a matter of security. To date, the Osprey has had a pretty dismal safety record. I would think that our illustrious leaders would stop that thing from flying over our city or in proximity to the base.