Monday, April 6, 2009

Well whaddaya know!

A couple of months ago, on a whim, I picked up a bluebird house for $10.00 at Lowe's. I attached to the back run of my fence. Frankly, I was a little dubious that the bluebirds would use it, although I had seen a good many bluebirds in the neighborhood. WRONG! I looked out my French doors this morning just in time to see a male bluebird clinging to the bottom edge of the hole in the box. After a minute of so, he flew off. Immediately thereafter, the female flew in and went straight into the box, where she stayed for about two minutes, then flew out. I'm guessing that they are already feeding chicks, or soon will be. Not a bad return on $10.00. As to my bird feeder, the gold finches arrived Friday. Surprisingly, as small as their beaks are, they nonetheless consistently go after the larger, black sunflower seeds and eschew the smaller ones. They will dislodge about five seeds before actually keeping one to eat. I can't figure how this behaviour is adaptive in the wild. Anyway, the ground feeders like doves and cardinals appreciate it. Here's the list of patrons of the birdfeeder so far: Crows (off of the ground), boat tailed grackles, doves (mourning and common ground doves), lark sparrows, gold finches, bluejays, red-bellied woodpeckers, brown-headed cowbirds, red winged blackbirds, tufted titmice, (plural of titmouse?), Carolina chickadees, and cardinals.

No comments: