Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Review of "Peppers" Mexican Grill and Cantina.

Well, this afternoon, I had a raging case the hungries for some tasty and meaty chow. Diabetes be damned for one meal. I went and tried Peppers, over where Sin Far Chinese used to be. I had heard nothing but good things about the place. Turns out they were right. I arrived at the door at 4:49 PM. Within one minute of my coming in the door, the manager had cleared two chairs from a table to accommodate my wheelchair. He immediately took my order for iced tea which arrived at the two point five minute mark. Menu at no more than three minutes, followed by fresh, hot chips and a good salsa at maybe 3.25 minutes. Order taken at minute 5; entree on table 10 minutes after arrival. I ordered the 3 chimichanga dinner. That's what I used to get all the time down at El Potros. There, I always remembered to specify FRIED chimichangas. Today, I forgot to. What I got were three soft chimichangas; one beef, one pork, and one jumbo shrimp. They were served with red Mexican rice with a bit of yellow corn mixed in, and good re fried beans. The chimichangas were drenched in a good melted queso (whitish Mexican cheese.) That turned out to be a fortuitous oversight on my part. The soft ones are really good! The beef, pork and shrimp had all been marinated in three quite different marinades, then each was enclosed in its own large, soft tortilla that had been browned on the grill, but was still soft enough to wrap into something the size of a small calzone. The shrimp was charred on the grill before being wrapped up. All three were quite delicious, as were the rice and re fried beans. Unlike most places, there was no shredded lettuce, no sour cream, and no guacamole. I'm sure you could get those if you asked. I usually find them a nuisance on platters. Surprisingly - for a non-American Southern restaurant - the iced tea was strong and good. The chips and salsa were excellent. WARNING: Do not do as I did and succumb to the temptation to try "just a little bit" of any of the three different bottles of Gringocidal habanero sauces on your table. I added maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon of the supposed least hot sauce to my whole bowl of salsa. Whoa, mama. A whole teaspoon might have killed me. The prices are moderate. You can get an entree and tea for around $10 - $11.00 total. My bill, for one of the heartier dishes, came to $13.00 and some change. All-in-all, a very satisfactory dining experience. Try it - I think you'll like it! Update @0955 HRS. on 8/6. It's now over 16 hours after my dining experience at Peppers. I'm happy to report that I slept soundly with absolutely no adverse gastroenterological effects from the food whatsoever.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

jay you should get on the horn with your mole, so I am hearing the dismantling of the S O has begun with cars being stripped away from key personnel, and 2 week unpaid leaves being promised to all employees.

Jay Moreno said...

My mole contacts me. I have no idea who he/she is - much less how to contact them.

How about it - Main Mole? What's shakin' at the CCSO?

Anonymous said...

I agree with your review of 'Peppers'. Good food, reasonable price, and great service.

Jay Moreno said...

So far, I've had the soft chimichangas. What else on the menu is really good?

Anonymous said...

Try the 'especial'. It has a variety of things on it, and they're all good.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks - I'll try that next.