Sunday, January 31, 2010

Amen, amen, and amen (to what "Golden Envelope" wrote)!

Nicholas Kingsland, GA Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #18 1 hr ago Judged: 1 1 I would like to see some of you get off your asses and help with Historic Downtown. Just because Ryan has made a success with the Magazine and she and Doug are now trying to help bring more people downtown with a PILOT movie That will not even hit AIR UNLESS IT SUCCEEDS!!!! Do ya'll even come downtown to buy things from restaurants, consignments, Market on the Square, the French Quarters, the book stores? Do any of you help with Festivals, Parades, Tours, the Cumberland sound ferry??? I think not. Or are you too busy with your boring rituals of blogging on here, going to the same stores every week when you could drop in downtown and see what they have to offer ... REMEMBER, KEEP IT IN CAMDEN....and don’t forget all of the bitching that ya'll do when you say nothing is downtown ... get your asses from away from the computer and go downtown and walk in the park and talk to the boaters/tourists and let them know that this is a place to come back to again and again and maybe they'll tell their friends to visit St. Marys ... that includes people who might come by Land or sea ... I don’t know Janet from above but if she does go to Seagles what’s the big deal? You must go there also for you to know she’s there after five ... she’s supporting downtown!!!! Golden Envelope Saint Marys, GA Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #19 7 min ago Damn Nicholas, wake the hell up. Tourists wear sandals, go to Cumberland for a few days, and then leave. THEY DO NOT SPEND ENOUGH MONEY TO EVEN KEEP A CHOCOLATE SHOP OPEN. You need to get your head out of your ass and maybe you will see what everyone is bitching about. The "brains" of St. Marys thought a stinky industry meant nothing to the economy around here. They decided years ago to make this a retirement community run off of tourism. WELL IT HAS NOT & WILL NOT EVER WORK!!! I do go downtown and I see said shops with "for sale" signs on them. What people are trying to get across to the "brains" & you is, we need industry back in the county again. Industry that provides good, stable jobs and then you will see the place return to what it was before. By the way, people of St. Marys are tired of "supporting" downtown while the rest of the place goes to hell!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So we can assume that you don't attend any festivals or events? I seem to remember you talking about the boater's Thanksgiving at Seagle's. Oh, right - that was about the free food.

Are you completely oblivious as to the demographics of St. Marys and how many new residents and businesses relocate here because of the downtown area? Anyone who is willing to spend their own time and money trying to help St. Marys (any area) should be supported. They are far more admirable than terminally disgruntled bloggers who just sit on their considerable backsides, write about "hog jowls" etc. and criticize others.

Jay Moreno said...

Yes, Alex,you assume correctly. I prefer to spend my money with business owners who do not rely upon the taxpayers to foot the bill - or a large part of it - for their marketing efforts and do not esposue the downtown dogma that it is the civic duty of the citizenry to support their businesses, irrespective of the desirability or competitiveness of their products.

As to the boater's Thanksgiving, I rode by out of curiosity, you ass. I did not partake. If you will recall, when I mentioned it, I said I was killing time until the line thinned out (that never happened) at Aunt B's.

A little smoked hog jowl, as part of traditional "hoppin' John" for New Years might do your dessicated, vegan shell some good.

Don't Be Cruel said...

Remember the old Elvis song? "Don't Be Cruel"? Man, I know it is your blog, but can you give the rancor and vindictiveness a little rest this year? Might there be other ways to communicate other than harvesting the head off a chicken each time you hit the keyboard! Frequently, my analysis of a situation would lead me to a similar approach or an attempt to provide a solution that might parallel that of yours. As well, I rather like your updates and insight from time to time, but regarding your contemplation of entering the political arena, I can't see how your approach to "head-loping" those who happen to disagree with your approach will bring progress or improvements to the CCBOC. And yes, I am typring in a hurry so please disegrad grammer adn spelling errors.

That said, how about checking into bringing the Folkston State Prison to Camden, more specifically, the Woodbine area, as they transition Folkston prison to a federal joint. Great source of high-paying, long-term industry and growth needed by the county, yes? Proof is right over in Charlton County!

www.phx.corporate_ir.net

Cornell Companies Announces Contract Award With Federal Bureau of Prisons
HOUSTON, Jan 12, 2010 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- Cornell Companies, Inc. (NYSE:CRN) announced today that it has received a contract award from the Federal Bureau of Prisons ("BOP") to house up to 2,507 low-security adult male inmates in Cornell's D. Ray James Correctional Facility ("D. Ray James") located in Folkston, Georgia pursuant to the Criminal Alien Requirement X ("CAR-10") procurement.

Jay Moreno said...

"but regarding your contemplation of entering the political arena, I can't see how your approach to "head-loping" those who happen to disagree with your approach will bring progress or improvements to the CCBOC."

Well, I'm glad you brought that up. Had you been there at last Tuesdays' CCBOC meeting, or, to be more precise, during the break between the 5:00 PM workshop and the 6:00 meeting, you would have seen me rolled up to the daiss and having a protracted and very convivial conversation with both Commissioners Zell and Keene as I've done before. Believe it or not, David Rainer and I unfailingly observe the social amenites when I run into him, Ditto for his wife who is one of the librarians where I did my student teaching. I see them quite regularly at Aunt B's. I speak to Steve Berry whenever I see him, Sometrimes, he speaks back, but that's just Steve. Now, I have bee harsh on Charlene Sears - and deservedly so when she was under the evil, Svengali sway of BTW. Of late, I've lightened up on her. In fact, after the meeting where she stod up to Berry and voted for the jailk expansion, I shook her hand and siad "Good job! I appreciate yoiur vote." She was too shocked to respond and I'm sure is still plenty angry with me. However, the good neews is that if I am on the CCBOC, she will not be, ergo our relationship would be a moot point.

Now, how would I deal wiht other board members. Whiule not in session and within the strictures of the in meetings act, I would observe the usual social amenities - as I do now. However, and more importantly, once a meeting would be gaveled to order, I would explain my position on each and every agenda item which was not on the consent agenda, (By the way, I'm not real crazy about the whole consent agenda concept.) During the discussion period, if it appeared that my position was not shared by the majority, I would argue (and I use that in the non-angry, debating sense of the word) my position as effectively as possible, just as Steve Bery does so well. Then, when the vote was taken, if the other four are sufficiently intelligent to vote as I do, so much the better. If not, I would accept the error of their ways and move on to the next item. Therer us even the off chance that on rare occassiions, during the discussion period, I may have my mind changed by the reasoning of another commissioner.

I think you forget that on the board, I would not be dealing with the same class of cowardly, hate-filled, anonymous, low-lifes I joust with here.

Anonymous said...

"I think you forget that on the board, I would not be dealing with the same class of cowardly, hate-filled, anonymous, low-lifes I joust with here."

You mean the citizens and voters? Way to endear yourself, Jay. Keep it up. It's so much fun watching you self-destruct.