Sunday, January 10, 2010

One of my old Savannah neighborhoods is being "revitalized."

From the time I was 6 until I turned 13, we lived at 1331 E. Anderson, 3 blocks east of Waters Ave. The small house - much like some of the "mill houses"on Ann Street in St.Marys - had a kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 bed rooms, 1 bath, a screened porch and a huge back yard for the princely sum of $60.00 per month.Un-homogenized milk from Annette's Dairy was delivered in glass, quart bottles (you had to leave your old bottles out on the porch the night before,of course) twice per week in a horse drawn wagon loaded with milk and large blocks of ice. I attended 2nd and 3rd grades at the now boarded-up Romana Riley Elementary School. Right across the street from the school was Gene's Sandwich Shop. Gene owned it and did all of the cooking. There were no fast food restaurants in Savannah at the time. With my lawn mowing money, for 25 cents, I could get a cheeseburger, all-the-way, made with beef ground there in the store, by hand, every day by a high school kid after school. A 6 oz. bottle of Coke was another nickel. If I was particularly flush with cash, I would have a hand-made milkshake with it - the kind where you have about another half-a-shake left in the metal mixing cup after your first glass-full - for another 50 cents. http://savannahnow.com/news/2010-01-10/city-targets-waters-avenue-revitalization

No comments: