Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tuesday's CCBOC meeting.

Tuesday, after attending an afternoon class at Coastal Georgia College in Kingsland, getting a new driver's license with my correct address, and picking up a refill for Cojack's phenobarb, I found myself in Woodbine in time to attend the 5:00 PM workshop on the county animal control ordinance. The rep from animal control (which answers to Chief Gailley, apparently) was pushing for some more "teeth" to enforce the regs they have. It turned out that Commissioner Sears had done extensive research on the internet. She presented everyone involved with a multi-paged proposal of her own. She was particularly concerned about what she repeatedly referred to as "lawn ornaments," by which she meant dogs (usually "bad" dogs) chained in front of residences on short chains. She wanted that practice outlawed altogether. I must say I tend to agree. However, she wanted a similar outright ban on the practice of attaching dogs top clothesline type runways. That goes a little far. So long as the dog attached to the runway has access to water and shelter, I don't have a problem with that. She also wanted an ordinance to require tags on all dogs with names, address and phone number of owner. In the course of the 45 minute work session, it came out that county animal control does not own any of the devices to read microchips implanted in dogs. They rely on the one at the animal shelter. That needs to be corrected. If they are called to an injured dog, they should be able to scan on scene for a chip so that the owner can be contacted immediately. How expensive could it be to buy one of those scanners for each truck? Sears also revealed that she does not like to take her dog to the vet for fear that it might be contaminated by the other animals there! As to the actual meeting, nothing of much interest transpired. It only took 36 minutes from beginning to end - and fully ten minutes of that was Chris Daniel (Chamber of Commerce) giving her report on the Atlanta fly-in. Notable attendees: Walt Natzic was there -0 as always. For the second time in a row ( as compared to virtually never previously) Royal Weaver was there with wife and probable campaign manager, Gull. Notably absent was Sandy Feller, who, to the best of my knowledge, has never returned subsequent to his last meeting as a county commissioner over three years ago. Bob Godley was also there. P.S., After I stopped into Walmart on the way home, it was about 7:30 when I passed by Matt's Italian. The place was jumping for a Tuesday night. They looked about 3/4 full.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay

FYI, I have attended most of the meetings since I started the Camden County Citizens Academy in May.

Royal

Jay Moreno said...

Perhaps I don't usually se you becuase I get there early enough to attend all of the 5:00 work sessions as well and you come it later. You must leave early too because I've never seen you in th audience until this year.

By the way, I,m starting that Citizens Academy in April.

So, are you in fact going to run for the District 4 seat?

Roxy the school police watch dog said...

I will bite Jay, what was Godley doing there?

Jay Moreno said...

Beats me. Stop one on the Bob Godley Rehabilitation Tour?

Anonymous said...

I finally got around to eating at Matt's last night. We tried 4 different entrees. All were good--none were great. The salads were fresh and good but limited by the lack of variety of the bottled dressings. The little garlic rolls were very good and the waitress would bring them until you couldn't eat more. Service was excellent. Prices were good. Overall, it is certainly not a Class A Italian restaurant but is is better than any other Italian eatery in Camden County. I have not tried their calzones but I will next time.

Jay Moreno said...

Agreed: that is perfectly consistent with my take on Matt's.
If I may make a suggestion, next time, for your salad, get them to bring you a cruet of extra virgin olive oil and another of their excellent balsamic vinegar.

Anonymous said...

Good idea-I'll ask.

Jay Moreno said...

Oh, and those little killer garlic rolls are great with a bowl of their excellent, fresh-made minestrone.