Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dave Smith's health is improving, but he will not be back at K-Bay.

This evening, I received this e-mail from a close friend of Dave Smith: "Jay, Just wanted to give you the complete Dave Smith update since I only spoke to him this morning at his parent’s home. I’m a good friend of his and had been admonishing him for not taking care of his high blood pressure. If he hadn’t gone to the doctor for a checkup, the diabetes and kidney failure would have gone unchecked. He is legally blind due to two issues – one being the diabetes that was left untreated and secondly a fall he took at the radio station, hitting his forehead and eye. The fall and hit resulted in a detached retina. He is on kidney dialysis three days weekly and said his skin color has changed from ash to peach and is regaining some sight. I asked about future treatment and at this point he is not a transplant candidate since the dialysis seems to be working. Will he come back to Camden? No. After 14 years of literally killing himself for the radio station he is hanging up the recorder and mic for good. Just sign me Any Mouse…"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best Wishes to Dave.

Jay Moreno said...

Agreed. I just replied to the e-mailer (whose real identity is known to me) to give Dave my best wishes as a fellow diabetic.

Anonymous said...

Is there a posibility that you could get his address so that some of his longtime friends could send him a card or letter. There are many of us out here that have known him for many years and would love to let him know that we are certainly concerned about his health and welfare and would love to wish him the best.

Thanks

Pollyanna said...

I am also a diabetic and wish Dave Smith all the best as he fights this disease. I have enjoyed hearing Dave's news broadcasts over the years.

Jay Moreno said...

Any Mouse, can you get Dave's mailing address for folks?