Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Steffens Revisited

After the commission meeting let out, I needed supper. I drove straight down Hwy 17 to Steffens. I got in the door (after the owner kindly opened the always locked [fire code, anyone?] left door so that my chair would fit through) at 7:25PM. The place was about 80% full at 7:25 PM - way better than I remember a typical Tuesday night under the previous ownership. There was a table available on either the right side or the left side. Unfortunately, my old friend and consummate professional waitress, Pat, must have been in the kitchen. Had I seen her, I would have gone to her side. Alas, I went to the left side, where I was dis serviced by a chubby little brunette who was honing up her act as an acerbic stand up comedienne. Picture a young Roseanne Barr, waitressing, and doing it in her stand-up persona. I hope the gal makes it in showbiz because she absolutely sucks as a waitress. I will say that she has done a marvelous job of training the owner, though. While the surly young twit takes more orders than she can possibly handle and engages in curt and insulting reparte' with her hapless customers, the owner is panting like a dog from running her orders out and, not having a clue who ordered what, having a helluva time getting the right food to the right customers. The chubby waitress does manage to find time to pick up her tips, though. Poor Linda Cagle is in desperate need of a friendly, tough-love visit from that TV chef, Chef Ramsay, who visits failing restaurants and diagnoses their problems. The first thing he would tell her is to quit letting twits like the chubby gal treat her like the hired help while giving her customers piss-poor service, then getting cheeky with them when they have the temerity to complain. I arrived at 7:25. At 7:28, I placed my order with young Roseanne for an un-sweetened iced tea, a hamburger with light mayo, lettuce, tomato, and a "very thin slice of red onion", and an order of extra crispy fries. About five minutes later, I caught her attention and asked her to hand me the sweetener container which I could not reach and get me a straw. The hamburger (and the straw) finally arrived at 7:50. That's about the right amount of time to cook a fresh, raw, and usually frozen hamburger patty. Mine was none of that, but more on that later. I finally located the light mayo - a microscopically thin smear (think biology lab) the size of a postage stamp. The tomato was missing completely. For the thin slice of red onion, the cook had apparently savagely attacked a whole onion with a cleaver, then piled ping-pong ball sized chunks atop my meat patty. I called Roseanne back to my table and told her that I wanted the missing tomato and to please have the cook remove the "chunks of onion detritus" from my burger and replace it with the "thin slice" I had asked for. Well, even with the swinging doors to the kitchen fully closed, I could hear Roseanne loudly regaling the cooks with her mocking impersonation of me asking to have the burger fixed the way I wanted it. Ten minutes go by - no burger. Finally, out it comes. The "thin slice" was about 3/4 of an inch thick at its narrow side and 1.5 inchs high on the high side. I called Roseanne back and asked her if the thick onion ring I was holding in my hand was her idea of a joke. She, responded "NO, but the cooks thought it was funny!", then flounced off. So, when I went to the register, the poor bedraggled owner had high hopes of just taking my money and was not about to ask me how was everything. I had the huge red onion ring folded in a napkin. I revealed it to her and told her the story of my experience tonight. She immediately assured me that the cooks would not do that to me on purpose. I felt right sorry for her when I told her that in point of fact, I knew that they did because Roseanne had told me they did. She was speechless. Folks, this lady, with apparently no prior restaurant experience, is trying damned hard. It's a damned crying shame that a few ungrateful , no-count redneck employees are bringing her down ( to be accurate, the two cooks were black females - saw them at the back door.) I was about to withdraw my recommendation that you try it, but instead, how about going and telling her what, if anything, goes wrong with your experience. And for Gawd's sake, someone tell her to read my blog. It was obvious tonight that she has not. She's got to take back control and replace the few dirt bags who are killing her. Oh, yes - almost forgot. The sad little three ounce burger patty had obvioulsy been precooked, kept in a pot of warm water on the stove (cardinal clue - not a speck of grease on the burger or bun), then thrown back on the grill for a second, if you are lucky. My burger patty was absolutely at room temperature by the time I got to eat it. P.S., the new, Steffens-like restaurant going into the currently being remodeled former location of St. Marys Seafood and Steak has a target opening date of March 1. The new name will be "The Mill."

5 comments:

Jay Moreno said...

From TOPIX:

Mary
Kingsland, GA
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it! |#19 1 hr ago
Judged:
1
1
I patronized Steffen's last evening for a wonderful dinner. I had the good fortune to have visited when Jay Moreno wasn't there. Therefore I was spared all the bitchin and moanin about everything and everyone who doesn't bow when he enters a room. Service and food was great. Atmosphere was wonderful. Other patrons were happy and respectful wow what a concept.

The fact that it is entirely plausible that this broad is telling the truth is illustrative of the problem - inconsistency. Some very good waitresses and at least one that I can personally certify as Gawd-awful and hurting the owner's business-and some cooks in dire need of an ass kicking.

Pollyanna said...

Jay:
When did you finally get out of there...midnight????

Jay Moreno said...

No - about 8:20.

By the way, I noticed that a whole lot more seafood is being served now than under previous owners. Have any of y'all tried it?

Anonymous said...

I have had the fried shrimp which has enough breading on it to choke a 20 hand horse. I have yet to try the fish. I just didn't think I could take it.

Jay Moreno said...

Okay, folks, please note: I did not express any opinion whatsoever about the seafood in my question, and yet, this patron complains from actual experience about just exactly what I picked up upon by observing the shrimp platter the woman at the next table was eating.
I would note that this lady seemed to be a visiting relative from someplace other than the east coast. How could I tell? Easily. have you ever seen a person reared on the the Atlantic coast cut thier fried shrimp with the edge of their fork into two pieces, then dip the fork into the tarter sauce, deposit a small dad of sauce atop the shrimp half, then delicately balance it on the fork before popping it into their mouth? I thought not.

The breading was indeed thick. In fact, it formed a shell around the shrimp so that when the lady cut it, the actual shrimp - only about 1/3 the size of the total mass of breading, would often fall out onto the plate. This was clearly frozen, pre-breaded shrimp. I would guess that the fish is the same.

Hopefully, inthe "new" restaurant, even though the seafood will still be frozen, they will buy the unbreaded product, thaw it, then bread it on site. That's how St. John's Seafood does it. The factg is that the current Steffens location has a small, cramped kitchen with no room for a proper seafood breading station. Clearly, there is a sufficient market to justify enlarging and modernizing the kitchen in the present Steffen's location. I hope that will come to pass.

P.S., While remodeling the kitchen, wheelchair accessible restrooms would be a welcome addition.