Saturday, January 17, 2009

"Five Guys famous burgers and fries."

Click on image to enlarge.
Ma-o-man!! Best store-bought burger I've had in over 40 years! I had to go back down to Jax Thursday afternoon to retrieve my cleaned rug from a rug shop in the San Marco area. One of my friends (yes, I do have them) highly recommended Five Guys in the River City Marketplace ( the shopping center on the east side of I-95 at the Jax Airport Road). Their burger and fries takes us baby boomers back to the days of mom and pop sandwich shops where they ground their own beef in a hand cranked meat grinder and formed the patties by hand. I don't know for sure how or where these guys grind their beef, but you will know immediately (even before going to their web site) that they use freshly ground, never frozen, quality beef. They char-broil it well done but juicy. As if the taste and texture would not tell you that their french fries are cut from fresh potatoes on site, they store their sacks of fresh potatoes in the dining area so you get the message. If you really want to satisfy your meat hungries, get their "hamburger" as opposed to one of their "little hamburgers." Their "hamburgers" all feature two beef patties which I know have a pre-cooked weight of at least 1/4 pound and possibly 1/3 pound. They are served on a regular sized, seeded bun. Their "little burgers" have just one patty of the same size. Warning: their "regular" sized french fries will easily feed two very hungry people. I had to throw away about half of mine - too full. I would guess that the large would take care of a family of four ordering burgers. The fries were very good, but fried "normally" because I forgot to ask for "extra-crispy," as I prefer. They also do hot dogs, a veggie sandwich, and a grilled cheese sandwich. That's it. "Get your own" and free re-fill Coca Cola products. Try it - you will have a new standard for hamburgers. Here's their website, followed by their menu. http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx
P.S.,
To find the place, look for the humongous Walmart. Looking at the front of the Walmart, Five Guys is the first place off the left end of it. Be forewarned that if you are driving on the road immediately in front of Walmart going from right to left, you can't see Five Guys because the road angles off just past Walmart.

14 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Jay:
The only way I can get my husband to go shopping with me at River City Market is to bribe him with lunch at Five Guys. I get the smallest burger they have for myself as the other is too large but my husband likes the large one with all the toppings. You are right on the fries...the last time we went we got a small order and it was plenty for three of us. We love the malt vinegar available to sprinkle on the fries...you don't find that much in the south.

Pollyanna said...

Jay:
I saw duckling in the meat department and thought I would try cooking one for the first time...Have you ever roasted a duckling and if so do you have any tips?

Anonymous said...

Jay, Sorry I have got to differ with you on this one. My husband and I ate at 5 guys not so long ago and it was the worst hamburger I ever had. It was dripping with grease. I could feel my arteries hardening the whole time I was there. Yuck!

Jay Moreno said...

No, but I love roast duckling.
However, I used to roast cornish game hens. Great cheap date. I had an old Fanny Farmer cook book with a great recipe for a Gran Marnier liquor orange sauce which would be great on duckling. Someone borrowed the book years ago and never returned it. I can remember the ingrediants, but not the recipe. The ingredients were: Gran Marnier orange liquor, orange juice, orange zest, white, refined sugar, and red currant jelly. Hopefully, you can find that recipe on the internet. It's great.

Jay Moreno said...

Exactly. That's why it is so good!
Trust me - it's not "dripping with grease." However, it is not made with flavorless, low to no fat beef, green weenie "range fed," 97/3 beef favored by the granola- breathed, Birkenstock sandal- wearing set, tree hugging set. This is a red-blooded, meat eater's burger. It is probably made with 80/20 - 80% lean; 20 % fat - the way a good burger should be.

Anonymous said...

Jay, there is also one in Brunswick.

Jay Moreno said...

Great! Thanks.

Jay Moreno said...

I just tried to find it from their website. The Google map makes no sense. They say it is on Glynn Isles, but I think they mean Golden Isles Parkway. Would you happen to know where it actually is?

Jay Moreno said...

I just called the Brunswick location for directions. Disastrously, I got a young female.
It was like pulling teeth, but I finally figured out that it is near Lowes, where Altama crosses Golden Isles Parkway.

Pollyanna said...

My Mother is a fantastic cook but never liked to have anyone in the kitchen with her...as a result I did not know how to cook when I first met my husband. The first meal I ever cooked for him when we were dating was cornish game hens. I stuffed them with wild rice stuffing and that may have one him over...I really had him fooled with the dinner and he has been my "guinea pig" ever since. When I mentioned roasting a duck for dinner tonight he gave the "thumbs down"...said he ate plenty that his brother shot when they were kids...so I opted for top sirlion on the grill using my Dad's famous method.

Now that we are talking about Brunswick and food...Have you ever been to one of my favorite roadside diners..."Willies Weenie Wagon"??? It is on Altama right across from the college and is a legend in Brunswick...been there for years and boasts many famous people who leave their compliments on the walls from around the world. They are famous for their pork chop sandwich but everything I have had there is great...my favorite is a "Willie Dog" with fries...their fries are steak fries and great...they give everyone a hot pepper if they ask for one. I like to eat inside at a picnic table...they also have picnic tables outside. They are closed on Sundays. When I take classes at the college I always plan to have Willies for either lunch or dinner.

I still working on that duck so will keep you posted if I do end up roasting on!

Jay Moreno said...

Oh, yes! I've enjoyed the world famous Willie's Pork Chop Snadwich on many ocassions. I recommend it with mayo (they push mustard)and extra sauteed onions with a side order of mild, pepperoncini (or "Greek") salad peppers. As I'm sure you know, learning just how to hold it in the waxed paper wrapper without getting the juice all over you is a bit of a trick, but one well worth learning. Hint: don't take the wrapper off. Peel it down gradually as you eat it end-on.

Jay Moreno said...

Try this duck sauce:

http://www.culverduck.com/recipes.asp?id=28

It is clearly my old recipe minus the red currant jelly.

Pollyanna said...

Thanks for the duck sauce recipe...I still will roast one just to say I have!

Oh...on the pepper juice at Willies...I let it drip all over my fries...try it...it is great!

Anonymous said...

Jay, we love that place! And, we can afford to get three teenagers full there!