Sunday, February 8, 2009

Red hot tourist attraction now playing in St. Marys!!

RED ALERT! Gather up the kids; start the car. You don't want to miss this limited engagement! Five minutes ago,I saw this at the intersection of Hwy 40 and Kings Bay Road. Standing in that little concrete triangle at the middle of the intersection is a 6 foot plus black man. He is standing under a huge, black umbrella that is strapped to him. Strapped to his back is a 5 foot long, three foot wide piece of plywood. It is painted white and has black stenciling on it. As near as I could tell in the seconds before the light changed, it says something about Ronald Reagan being wounded then healed, then has several Biblical quotations and a bunch of end of the world, repent stuff. Now the piece de resistance. Strapped to his chest is a large, professional ventriloquist's dummy. Picture Charlie McCarthy, only in white face. While the dummy's (the wooden one's) mouth is constantly moving, the other dummy is hiding behind the wooden dummy and yelling some sort of doom's day message at the top of his voice. Apparently, you no longer have to leave Camden and go to the big cities to see this. Hurry - no telling how long he'll be there. Update, Monday, 2/09/09: When I passed by that same intersection this morning at 7:25 AM, the poor fellow was back at his post, hollering as strongly as ever.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another fine example of how a commissioner should act. Good job Jay!

Anonymous said...

I did see the gentleman refered to. In addition on Friday and Saturday at the intersection of 40 and spur 40 I encountered 6-10 people from an area church with 5 gallon buckets collecting money at the red lights. I reported this to the 911 center. I wasn informed they have a permit. Only in St. Marys would we permit a group of beggers to acost drivers who are stopped at a traffic signal. Not only do I not appreciate being approached at my car window, but it is not safe for people to be walking in and out of the traffic. I was told the firemen could not get a permit in St. Marys to do the same thing for the boot drive for the mda telethon.

Jay Moreno said...

Thank you. I'm all for increased tourism.

It's amazing the collecting that goes on around here. Do any of our municipalities have a "bunko" squad? The front doors to Walmart on any given day would be a target rich environment.

Anonymous said...

He was at HWY 40 and Haddock Rd at 10:45 Monday Morning. I saw him yesterday on HWY 40 as well.

Jay Moreno said...

Ain't he a dilly!?

Anonymous said...

At noon today he was up by the library. I thought it was a kid on his chest! I tried to get his picture, but he objected by turning the sign away from the camera phone!
Would that be shame? He can stand practically in traffic for the whole county to see, but a picture is too much?

Jay Moreno said...

There is just no telling what is going on inside of his tortured mind. Probably nothing that the correct diagnosis and medication would not relieve greatly.

Pollyanna said...

Today when I was going through the intersection of Hwy 40 and Haddock Road I spotted his van parked in the new CVS parking lot but did not see him anywhere. One of his dummies was sitting in the passenger seat of the van. I think this person may be homeless and living in the van and probably is suffering from a mental illness. Our mental health system is so lacking that most end up on the street like this poor sole. We fed the homeless in downtown Seattle for several years and most of the homeless suffered from mental illness and their families had disowned them.

Jay Moreno said...

Did you happen to notice where the license plate was from?

Pollyanna said...

No, I did not think about the license plate...but that is a good idea...if it is there again today, I will certainly check that out.

Jay Moreno said...

He was standing at the corner in front of the Camden County Library at about 3:30 today. It looks like he is wearing a smaller back board today. Maybe he has several with different messages.

Anonymous said...

He is from Oklahoma, and he is a reverand on a mission to spread the word of God. The maniquin is a ventriliquist dummy with a PA system inside. The Bucket Brigrade was informed that what they were doing is against city policy and they graciously moved on with apologies. They were collecting for the homeless.

Pollyanna said...

Jay:

I spotted this guy's van the last two days in the new Walgreen parking lot...so I pulled in to see where he license plate is from. It is a South Carolina plate. While taking a slow good look of the situation I also noticed that all the windows on the motorhome/van have been boarded up. My co-worker said he had been camping out in Folkston a few weeks ago.

I think he has the right idea...with all the "doom and gloom" on the economy I have told my husband we are just going to sell everything and live in a motorhome like a couple of gypsies!!!