Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jill Helton returns as editor of Tribune & Georgian

The hard copy of today's T&G carries the story that Jill Helton the former editor just prior to Jonathan Maziarz, has returned to her old position. Jill arrived here from her home state of Illinois in 1993, about the same time I arrived from Savannah. I know Jill and consider her a friend. Although we have not always agreed on everything in the T&G during her prior tenure - especially during her younger days as a reporterette - I've watched her mature into a pretty good reporter and a not-too-shabby editor. She most assuredly knows all of the players in county politics and bureaucracy. I'm guessing that Simper Fido's free run of the T&G pages has just come to a screeching halt. I hope that we will now see a return to the T&G's rightful role as watchdog, as opposed to it's brief post-Maziarz slide toward lap-dog status. My guess is that it will. Welcome back, Jill.

No comments: