Sunday, September 27, 2009

My view of the local economy.

That is to say, the literal view from the windows of my home. Looking east out of the bay window in my kitchen, across three vacant lots, I see that the house which is like mine on the exterior (mine is way different inside - wheelchair friendly) that was built over a year ago as a spec house has just sold. Looking north out of that same window, I see the construction workers coming and going from a new, two story house up the block that was started about three weeks ago for a paying customer. Looking south out of my dining room window and when I'm out in my back yard, I can hear and sometimes see through the tree buffer the boom of the track hoe that is clearing land behind me for condo construction. That is the land adjacent to and on the east side of the Mt. Zion Baptist Church across from Saturday Park on Hwy 40. So, who else is seeing signs of a possible beginning of the end of the recession? Any real estate activity in y'all's neighborhoods?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is still dead. I work for a local engineering firm and we are barely alive. If things don't chang, we will be closed in a month or so.

Jay Moreno said...

Sorry to hear that. I hope things work out.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the gas station across from Hardees has a sign up saying their closing.

Jay Moreno said...

Yes, my housekeeper was telling me that this morning (right after the ordeal of trimming Cojacks beastly little claws)so it looks like the CVS rumor is true.

Anonymous said...

I have seen no signs of new construction or availability of jobs. A very large housing development near me has gone belly up and even though many lots were sold, no new houses have been started. I know many who are seeking employment and there is very little to choose from in this area or other areas for that matter. The Stock Market seems to be looking better but that does not help the people out there looking for work. The Federal Govt. is spending tons of money on banks, insurance companies and car manufacturers but nothing to help out the unemployed and small businesses. The President is faced with terrifying happenings in Iran and he makes a trip to promote Chicago for the Olympics? I can't say that things are looking up in my world.

Jay Moreno said...

Which housing development was that?
I've noticed that activity seems to have ground to a halt at the moderately priced duplex development there in the north west quadrant of the intersection of Colerain and St.Marys Road.

Anonymous said...

The development I am referring to is out of Kingsland on Hwy 40. Think it is called North River ?. The acreage involved goes from Hwy 40 down to the St. Marys River. There are also several new Subdivisions that were started on Hwy 17 North of Woodbine that have also gone under with no signs of any homes being built and they were up and going before the one on Hwy 40 was started.

Jay Moreno said...

Oh, yeah, I remember that North River thing now. I ocassionally take Hwy 17 on trips to Brunswick just to see what's going on. I know the ones you're talkng about.
Typically, they just layed a few truck loads of asphalt down, built a fancy stonework fence at the entrance, and put up a "Lots for Sale" sign. I see most of the banks that got stuck with them are from out-of-town.