Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Shipshape Community" ordinance coming soon to a spiteful busybody and an ambitious code enforcement officer near you?

Click on images to enlarge.
This St. Marys ordinance revision will next be reviewed and critiqued by the Citizens Advisory Board (the political arm of the St. Marys EarthKeepers) at the CAB meeting at the DDA building (the old police building) at high noon this Friday. It's open to the public. I'll be there.
Come on down and meet Alex Kearns. After that, it goes before the Property Committee in city council chambers this coming Monday at 4:00 PM. Open to the public. Then, city council is scheduled to vote on it during the regular council meeting at 6:00.
Suggestion: If you put out any yard waste for collection, get yourself a yardstick.
Also, you might want to increase your budget for painting and general exterior home maintenance.
And to be doubly safe, set aside a grand just in case you run afoul of this ordinance in a bad way.
Oh, and if you put out trimmed tree limbs for pick up, be sure to separate the leaves from the limbs.
9/24/09: One citizen's concerns:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/kingsland-ga/T3R8ETPTLP1S35IKL Elsewhere, he goes on to say: Retired United States Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #105 20 min ago better watch that group "St.Marys earth keepers"-you as a citizen of St.Marys just may be railroaded if the earth keepers get council to change their codes. Then the group just like roaches will scurry their way and form Kingsland Earth Keepers-they are a greedy bunch who are looking for a federal paycheck through grants. Got to hand it to them though-they have to eat-however-most likely this group wil totally hurt the people in the long run. We are a free nation!!! We do not need a group of people telling us what we need to do. We are not children.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care to tip toe through the tulips with him.

Anonymous said...

This ordinance draft reads like a gated community HOA. I'm thinking a gate with guards will be next.
Strangely enough it said nothing about relieving oneself in the privacy of one's backyard.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I see that you are now retired. Me too and loving it.

Jay Moreno said...

Be patient: it still has to be reviewed tomorrow at noon by the Citizens' Advisory Board (which is to the St. Marys EarthKeeeprs as the Sein Fein was to the IRA)and then again at 4:00 on Monday by the Property committee before being presented to the full council at 6:00 for a vote.

I especially like the section that says you will not be allowed to put your house up for sale if it is not, well, "Shipshape." So, if some little widow lady has fallen on hard times and the house is in disrepair, she can't sell and get to a nursing home until she can raise the money to bring the house back into compliance with the draconian requirements of the Shipshape Community ordinance.

Big Green Brother has truly arrived.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I'm not sure I see the connection between the St. Marys Earthkeepers and the Citizens Advisory Board. I was told by the City Clerk that the Board was appointed by the city and that it's purpose was to advise about city beautification. She said that the Earthkeepers was a private organization and had no official ties to the city. It seems that, while they do have similar goals, there is no other connection except that at least one person is a member of each. That could be coincidence or just because people who are willing to work in certain areas tend to be those who volunteer when asked.

Jay Moreno said...

Let me help you see. If you had been paying close attention to this blog on a daily basis, you would surely have seen where I revealed that the better than have of the stated goals of the CAB are exactly the same - VERBATIM _ as those of the St. marys EarthKeepers, as found on their website. In fact, I even scanned and posted them for you.

Secondly, most, if not all, other city appointed baords have 6 members - one appointed by each councilmember. Typically, when these boards are established or memebers need to be replaced, council peopel have a tough time finding volunteers who are both competent and willing to serve.

Not so with this board. My dates may be a little off, but I beleive it was called for at the second council meeting in July and established in early August of this year. Unprecedentedly, 9 volunteers came forward almost immedialtely. They were not sought out by individual concilmen - they just came forward.At the mayor's suggestion, they accepted all 9 (no sense risking the loss of three votes).

Now, here's what likely happened. As soon as Rev. Kearns heard of the openings, she immediatle activated her EarthKeeepers phone tree and came up with 8 volunteers in addition to herself. Don't knwo this fopr a fact, but I think it likely.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of whose idea this board was. I suspect that its very conception may be linked to Rev. Kearns.

By the way, if you can make it, the CAB is having a meeting today at high noon in the DDA building. It's open to the public.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I would like to be there but I have to be out of town most of today. One more question. What is the so called "Shipshape" ordinance, who started it and wrote it, and why?

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I misspoke. I have read the "Shipshape" ordinance so I not completely unfamiliar with it. I just don't know if it is totally new ordinance or a rewrite of an existing ordinance or just some thing someone dreamed up and hopes it will be accepted as an ordinance.

Jay Moreno said...

Supposdedly, ity is a MAJOR (my word) "tweaking" of an existing ordinance. I'll have more to report when I get back from attending today's high noon CAB meeting and my usual Friday trip to Aunt B's to help decimate the wild population of Alaskan pollock.

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I just got back in town about an hour ago, so I missed the CAB meeting. I had a cell phone message waiting when I got out of the meeting and had another on the way home. I heard it was a real circus and you were in center ring. The opinion is, however, that you were not a real high class act.

I did, however, hear that the CAB clearly explained that they were in no way connected with the Earthkeepers. I'll talk more in length with my contact who attended.

Jay Moreno said...

No need. you low-down, dirty, lying bastard. As you well know, I've already written about what happend in great detail. You son of a bitch, you had to scroll right over it to get here to make this comment.