Thursday, July 31, 2008

Post op report.

Well, less than two and a half hours ago, I got finished having my first "routine" colonoscopy at age 60. No symptoms - I just thought it was high time. I had a brief first meeting with Dr. Varges on Monday afternoon. I told him it would best suit my calendar if we could do it today. Amazingly, that was not a problem. It was scheduled at our Camden hospital for 11:00 AM today. If you have not had one, you've probably heard all of the horror stories. Here's the truth. Yesterday, at noon, I had to take the two laxative pills that come with the prescription "bowel cleansing kit" I had picked up at the drugstore on Monday. It says you should expect a bowel movement in a couple of hours. Not so for me - I usually require double the dose of most laxatives. At any rate, at 6:00 , BM or not, you have to start drinking a 2 liter bowel cleansing solution which you had to mix up that morning in the little plastic jug which comes with the kit and store in the refer. You have to drink one eight ounce glass every 10 minutes until you've consumed the entire 2 liters of the solution. It took me from 6:00 'til 7:00. The last two glasses were really slow going down. Now, the directions said you should be done about two hours after that. In my case, my first movement was not until two hours after the last glass. I went to bed at ten. I had to get up three times during the night and twice in the morning before I was clear. Mildly aggravating, but no cramping or bloating. All in all, not nearly so bad as cracked up to be. I went into the procedure room promptly at 11:00. I was done and out by 11:45. After I got on a gurney and got undressed (you do it in that order when you can't stand up), they hooked up a heart monitor, a O2 saturation monitor (finger tip clip), an IV line, and a nasal cannula for a little O2.. I was told to get up on my left side. As I was trying to get my pillow comfortable, the nurse said she was giving me some Demerol, to be followed by whatever the "twilight sleep" drug is. The next thing I remember was being aroused about 30 minutes later and being told to get dressed as the procedure was all over. I have no recollection of the procedure itself. Insofar as I had been on a liquid diet all day Wednesday and NPO for the procedure, I had my housekeeper drive us straight to Aunt B's for lunch. It's now 2:30. I feel no post-procedural effects whatsoever. Colonoscopies are recommended for everyone, every 10 years beginning at 50. If the horror stories have been putting you off, don't worry They are just "stories." It's a piece of cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Crohn's Disease and have had more colonoscopies than I care to count. The procedure is not what most people think.

I think most people are unnerved by the thought what actually happens. Yea, it is an embarrassing, invasive procedure. However, the Doctors and Nurses are professionals and understand the embarrassment of it, so they work at making you as comfortable as possible.

As many as I have had, I still don't like the thought of it, but I really don't mind it anymore. It's better to know what is going on than to suffer for not having a colonoscopy.

If you are 50 or older, get one...btw, Varges is very good at what he does. Seem him and get it over with!!!

Life Long Crohn's

Anonymous said...

Wow! Jay, I appreciate your candor in the sharing of your latest medical adventure! I'm glad everything came out all right for you! On a serious note though, I need to follow up with my Doctor's orders too, and have it done. It can be a serious problem if there is something there and it's not caught right away. People die from putting the procedure off for too long.

Jay Moreno said...

Yes, Dr. Varges is a very pleasant, laid-back and avuncular gentleman and no doubt good at what he does.

By the time the "embarrassing" and potentially uncomfortable part starts, you will be in la-la-land anyway. I have absolutely no memory of the actual procedure.

Being an old Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman and having spent 8 months in Brooks Rehab, not much embarrasses me, anyway.