Sunday, June 21, 2009

Looking for a really good plant nursery?

If you've ever looked for really good plant material around here, then you know that unless you happen to hit Lowe's at the right time, there really is no reliable nursery with a good selection of very high quality traditonal southern plants plus some exotics. I've encountered that problem recently when I was looking for some good specimens of red Calypso oleanders. Then I remembered that I had an old Jax phonebook. I hit the jackpot with my very first phone call. I drove yesterday to the Bartram Trail Nursery at 1859 State Road 13. That's also known as San Jose Blvd. Their phone number is (904) 230-4200. They are a bit far away, but worth the trip the next time you have business in Jax. Take I-295 South across the Buckman Bridge over the St. Johns. At the east end of the bridge, exit immediately onto State Rd 13 / San Jose Blvd. Take a right at the end of the ramp and drive south on San Jose /S.R.13 for six miles. Look for a "Kangaroo" convenience store on your right. The nursery is about another 100 yards on the left. The mid-fiftyish guy who owns and operates it - and does the plant care - really knows his stuff. He has just about anything you have ever heard of that grows well in our zone - and many things you haven't. He has an elaborate drip irrigation system set up all over the property. Each pot is individually watered. The result is that he has some of the healthiest looking plants, shrubs, and trees I've ever seen. My four, 3-gallon, red Calypso oleanders are all perfect specimens with three stems per pot, very full, lush, green, 36" high foliage. They were $12.95 per 3 gallon pot - absolutely competitive with Lowe's - and way, way healthier. And, yes, I do know that all parts of the plant are poisonous and that even the smoke from burning them is poisonous, thank you. Does anyone have any recommendations for any closer nurseries with a good selection of high quality materials?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pages Nursery in Yulee on Hwy 17, just before you come into yulee on the left side of the road.

Jay Moreno said...

Oh, yeah, I know where that is. Left hahnd side on souhtbound 17, just across from the building for the Association of Retarded Citizens. I take it they are pretty good?

By the way, if you continue south a few yards and take that last road to the left before you hit A1A, there is another big nursery a few miles east on that road.

Anonymous said...

Dixie nursery in Folkston is also good. Healthy plants at a much lower price than Lowes. The owner will also spend time to educate you on the plants and recomend the ones that fit your application. We just lanscaped a lawn with plants from his place.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks for that tip. When you come into Folkston on 40 West from Kingsland, how do you get to Dixie Nursery?

Anonymous said...

Go north of Folkston and stay on US-1 as if you are going to Waycross. You will turn right off of US-1 4 or 5 miles outside of Folkston, then proceed another 3-4 to the nursery. Well worth the trip. As soon as I think of the guy's name I will post it.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks for the directions. With now 6 trees, 22 shrubs, and 13 plants installed, my landscaping budget is about shot until I go back to work. I am kind of thinking about Satsuma oranges and
rabbit's eye blueberries at some point, though.