Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Another example of how the knee-jerk opponents of any economic progress in Camden not benefitting a GOB will distort the truth:

Here is what the disngenuous opponent opted to post on TOPIX. BEWARE Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #81 12 min ago Politics wrote: Yes, the JDA is on board.....http://www.jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2009-07-22/story/developer_tax_allocation_district_a_must_for_laurel_island_annexation Hmmmmmm, I think Mr. Keating knows what Politics is talking about.Jay Moreno said... Okay, it's 1418 HRS, Wednesday, 7/22. I just got off of the phone with David Keating, Executuve Director of the JDA. He informed my that the JDA is one of the entities that COULD legally be tapped to administer the laurel Island TAD, but has neither been approached to nor agreed to. Moreover, the JDA does not have any eminent domain powers. Now, let's compare that edited version to the totality of my comment: Jay Moreno said... Okay, it's 1418 HRS, Wednesday, 7/22. I just got off of the phone with David Keating, Executuve Director of the JDA. He informed my that the JDA is one of the entities that COULD legally be tapped to administer the laurel Island TAD, but has neither been approached to nor agreed to. Moreover, the JDA does not have any eminent domain powers.My personal preference, assuming that after all the negotiations are done, this thing looks like a risk worth taking and gets by the referendum, is tha ther city create a new St. Marys TAD Authority.As to the question of the JDA being involved in something to do with the old mill property: yes, they are. They had a regular JDA meeting (which slipped by me) this past Friday. The minutes are available at their office, but not yet on line. Thye are discussing a "public-private partnership" with the JDA, the St. Marys DDA, and the Durango bankruptcy trustee.The trustee would be tghe "private" party. They would enlist other ptrivate partners. The goal is to re-develop the mill property. The belly-up developers who had the first go at it would not be in the mix. A TAD or a similar arrangement called a PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) might be utilized in redeveloping the mill, with public approval by referendum - that is, assuming that a TAD Authority has not previously been established for some other initial St. Marys TAD.I'm not as alarmed by this as some. By the time any plans are firm enough to vote on, be it the voters at large or city council votong on it, we should know whether or not the economy has come back and how strong.Another thing: in Gordon Jackson's coverage of the TAD meeting, he wrote that Keating was a supporter of Drury's request for a Laurel Island TAD. He pointed out to me today that what he actually said was that he was not there for the purpose of endorsing the TAD, but only to state that TADs are a powerful developent tool and have been used very successfully in other parts of Georgia. I was sitting about 3 feet from him when he said it and that conforms perfectly with my recollection of his comments as well. July 22, 2009 2:34 PM "Beware," indeed. Apparently, lying by commissiomn or ,as in this case, omission, is SOP for these folks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is that lying by omission. I was'nt interested in posting you personal thoughts. I posted what you said Keating said!!

Anonymous said...

Jay,

I have read your post more than once and I can't see what your complaint is. Whoever it was on Topix was simply quoting what you said that Mr. Keating said. I don't find that to be a misquote in any way. He was not talking about you or your opinion which, as I read it, was everything after the Keating quote.

Also, i have a bit of a problem with your assertion that these are "the knee-jerk opponents of any economic progress not benefiting a GOB..." it seems to me-I'm an imported "yankee" like you-that Chip Drury is a GOB. His father was well known in the area and Chip inherited the land he proposes to develop. He is playing heavily on his Camden roots. I agree that knees are jerking on both sides of the aisle but I don't think it's a GOB thing.

Jay Moreno said...

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would respectfully suggest that you were not looking very hard.

Apparently, highlighting the part that should have done it for you in red was not sufficient.

Let me try again to reach your particular "learning style."

The opponent of the TAD who made the post tiltled it "Yep, JDA is on board," or words to that effect.

He may have gotten that from Gordon Jackson's erroneous reporting of Mr. Keatings comments.

Now, if you will go back and re-read the portion highlighted in red - which was available to the TOPIX poster - you will see that Mr. Keating clerly DID NOT say that he was "on board" with the
Laurel Island TAD.

By deliberately omitting that part of my comments, the TOPIX opponent of the TAD LIED BY OMISSION.

Do you get it now?

Jay Moreno said...

P.S.,

Nowwhere did I say that the disingenuosu poster on TOPIX "misquoted" anything. I said he omitted that which solidly refuted his specious assertion that Mr. Keating had said he was "on baord."

There is little I loathe more than a liar.

Anonymous said...

Get over yourself!!!!

Keating never said he was'nt on board either. Just like he said the JDA COULD be utilized in the capacity of the TAD Board.

Neither answer that he gave you was a omission or admission of anything.

Jay Moreno said...

No, actually he did. Tyr to keep up. I was at the meeting Mondaynight, sitting in the front row (of necessity). I was less than 3 feet behind Mr. Keating when he clearly state, verbatim, "I am not here to endorese the Laurel Island project." He was there to say, and did, tyhat TADs are very powerful economic tools that can have very beneficial results when used properly. Whe I spoke top him the next day, he emphasized to me that he was not a happy camper that Gordon Jackson had inadvertently mischaracterized what he said and tat he had already spoken to Gordon about it.

Now, is there any conceivable way that you once again cannot get that through your skull?