Friday, July 24, 2009

Debunking the specious innuendos of yet another annonymous coward afflicted with Jay Derangement Syndrome.

Anno Kingsland, GA Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #20 12 hrs ago Just in case Bhudda, does not post this on his blog, which I just submited, I think the voting public should know.I thought you were a Vietnam veteran that is what you claim on your blog. So are you a Vietnam veteran, or a Vietnam “ERA” veteran. Big difference don’t you think? From your resume on this very thread, you said “I was never stationed aboard ship -I was ALWAYS with the Marines.Additionally, I inspected ships for U.S. Quarantine for 20 years. We used "HRS" as did all civilian ship's captains and shipping agents.” Then you went on to say, afer a land shore duty question.“ Yep, except for a few short floats on gator freighters for amphibious landing exercises in amtraks.” So do we have some truth telling to do? The voting public wants to know!! Dear Despicable Coward, The decent public should know that you got this as a comment on my post on Mangos to try to counteract any good will which my excellent review might have engendered towards me. I understand that your pitiable affliction and accurate feelings of inferiority compelled you to do so. Folks, the opinion of this vermin matters not, but it is important that such cowardly attacks not go unchallenged. Here are the facts. I joined the regular Navy, voluntarily, in January of 1966. On the "120 day delay program," I reported for active duty of 26 May 66. After boot camp at Great Lakes, I went straight to Hospital Corps "A" School, which I had requested. From there, I went straight to the Marine base at Camp LeJuene, N.C. for 5 weeks of Class "C" school training at the Field Medical Service School after which I had the unshakable NEC (Navy Enlisted Code) of 8404, Field Medical Service Technician (i.e., a "medic" [though we did not use that term] qualified for combat duty with the USMC). From there, I went to U.S. naval Hospital, Beaufort, SC, where I was assigned for six months to the SOQ (sick officers' quarters - the floor that treated hospitalized officers). From there, at the rank of HN (E-3), I was assigned to Delta Medical Company, 5th Medical Battalion, 5th Marine Division at Camp Pendleton, California, arriving in September of 1967. In January and February, while still stationed at Camp Pendleton, after base-wide competitive testing, I was selected to fill one TAD (temporary additional duty) slot for Vietnamese Language School at MCAS, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, with the 1st Marine Interrogation / Translation Team. I made HM3 (E-4) about that time. In October of 1969, I reported to my new command, Force Logistics Command, at the main Marine supply base, Camp Booker, just north of DaNang. On the first day there, they were looking for volunteers to work in the Hoa Khann Children's Hospital, a USMC supported hospital built by Navy SeaBees and staffed with U.S. Navy Corpsmen, located just inside the base, just off of Hwy 1. With my training at Camp Pendleton in minor surgery and my Vietnamese language training, I was a natural, so I volunteered. I made HM2 shortly thereafter. For a photo of me serving there, click on this link: http://www.photoessayist.com/vietnam/stories/hospital/hospital-01.html. Now, arrow over to the last picture on the right. That is me in the white tee shirt. The Vietnamese "nurse" is a very bright young lady we called "Anna Nurse." After working 12 to 18 hour days, seven days per week, performing (no, not watching - actually performing) minor surgery on kids, I was rotated as part of normal 6 month, in-country rotation of corpsmen, to the forward combat base at Dong Ha, about 7 miles south of the DMZ and within artillery range from North Vietnam. When I got there , there was another corpsman, a short timer 1st Class, and a medical officer. About two months after my arrival, the HM1 rotated back stateside, they brought up a 3rd class from DaNang, called the medical officer back down to Quang Tri, and left me in charge, doing independent duty and responsible for the health and first aids needs of my 400 man unit, FLSG-Bravo (Force Logistics Support Group-B). In addition to sick call, we took turns riding along with the secuirty detail for logistics convoys all the way back down to DaNang and out west to LZ Stud (Vandegrif Combat Base.) Never shot at with small arms fire, but I did have some "interesting" times running around the base at night, driving my old Willys jeep ambulance - the last of its kind in the command (and way better than those sorry Ford-made jeep knockoffs) while rockets and mortars were still falling and treating and transporting wounded Marines. We also did weekly MEDCAPS (Medical Civic Action Program) trips out into the nearby villages or to the Dong Ha orphanage where we held civilian sick call. We once even gave a huge shot of penicillin to the village chief's water buffalo cow that was nursing a calf. The cow had a big infected cut on her leg that was making the calf sick via the milk. In November of 1969, I rotated stateside. After 30 days leave at home in Savannah, I was stationed about 40 miles away at MCRD, Parris Island. I was discharged in January of 1970 as an HM2. About a month later, I joined the local Naval Reserve Unit. About two years later, with 6 years Time-In-Service, I made HM1 (E-6) on the first try. I later went on to make HMC (Chief Petty Officer, E-7.) After that, I was stymied on promotions because of "weight control," although I was otherwise a straight "4-0 sailor." Of course, I now realize, in retrospect, that I was fighting a losing battle with "pre-diabetes." Drilled all the way through Desert Storm. I remember having my seabag packed and being a little disappointed when Marine Reserves and supporting corpsman were not called up. I was LCPO (Leading Chief Petty Officer) for a Marine support unit (4th FSSG) drilling in Macon at the time. My other two reserve assignments were to a Marine "beachmaster" unit in Savannah, and amtraks out at NAS, Jax. So, you see, Despicable Coward, I was in the Navy, and I was IN Vietnam (no disrespect to Vietnam era veterans). During my service in the reserves, I did have a contract with U.S. Quarantine to inspsect ships at all ports from Port Canaveral at the south end of my territory all the way to Georgetown, S.C., at the north end. Moreover, that was a part -time enterprise as a private contractor which allowed me a 20 year concurrent, full-time career in insurance and real estate. Oh, and when you are part of a Marine unit that is conducting amphibious landing exercises, you are ON the gator freighters, but yo are not part of the ship's crew. Ergo, my statement is correct. Heretofore, Sir, you were merely a cowardly, obsessed ass. Now, you are a thoroughly discredited ass! Congratulations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure you did. Thank you for your service. Where ever you did it.

Jay Moreno said...

You're welcome.