Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cojack update.

Well, I got over to Integrity Animal Hospital at 1:00PM. Unbeknown st to me, Dr. Dunn takes every Wednesday afternoon off, but his staff is there. I brought a stool sample. His vet tech checked it and it was, as I knew it would be, positive for blood. She also ran an O&P for ova and parasites. That was negative. After I gave her the history of how I came home last night to find that he had not eaten any of his usual "breakfast" (dry dog food with three tablespoons of canned gravy mixed in, except on MWF when he gets two scrambled eggs with dog food mixed in) and that he had thrown up and had a fairly normal looking BM (in the house, which he never does unless sick), she asked if he had eaten anything "unusual" recently. Well, as it turns out, my housekeeper, Sarah, who dearly loves Cojack, buys him a new treat every couple of weeks or so. This past Monday, she brought him, for the first time, a bag of "Canadian Beggin" from the makers of Beggin Strips, which he loves and has eaten many times. Well, in his vomitus last night, there were bits of the one piece of the Canadian Beggin he had eaten yesterday morning. The vet tech said that that may have been contaminated or had some chemicals in it that disagreed with him, giving him diarrhea. I threw the rest out as soon as I got home. Sometimes, when dogs have diarrhea they can strian so hard it can rupture capillaries in their intestines and cause transient bleeding. They see this fairly often. She gave me some anti-diarrheal medication in a syringe to administer orally, which I did as soon as I got him home. Now, this morning, he had no interest in food whatsoever. By the time I got him home around 2:15, he was ravenous. I cooked a couple of eggs with his dog food in them. He wolfed those down and had a few of his old favorite snacks to boot. Strangely, he hasn't acted like he felt bad throughout. He was his usual frisky self except for the lack of appetite. He's taking his overdue nap on my bed as I type at 4:37. I'll keep an eye on him for a while. If he has any further symptoms, he'll go back first thing in the morning. Now, before the usual kooks write that I gave too much information, the idea was so that some other dog owner might realize that there are explanations for blood in the stool besides ulcers and cancer and not be quite so worried as I was earlier today. What did I tell you!? Wretching Saint Marys, GA Reply » |Report Abuse |Judge it! |#1 4 min ago OMG Morono is writing in great detail about his dog's bowel movements. What class.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now the damn Canadians are trying to get at you through your dog. LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the medical info for dogs. All info is helpful. I'm so glad Cojack is doing better.

Jay Moreno said...

It's 8:22 and he is sleeping peacefully in my easy chair. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened with my dog and Beggin' Strips. The vet informed me that they have a high enough preservative content to cause gastric and bowel distress in some dogs. I switched him to Alpo Variety Snaps and the problem vanished (and he loves them). The Snaps can also be easily broken into smaller pieces: my dog is of the mutt-ish blend that can easily gain weight so a smaller treat helps. Corn gluten meal, brewer's rice, BHA/BHT and others can cause problems as well. Glad to hear Cojack's feeling better!

A.

Jay Moreno said...

He did fine on the original Beggin Strips but I stopped buying those ion favor of the much cheaper Ol' Roy brand Beggin Strip knockoffs which he likes just as well. Dito for the Ol' Roy Grilled Chicken Strips and the Ol' Roy things that look like Slim Jims. He likes them all and they are al a good buy at Walmart. He did not care for their beef-basted bone shaped dog biscuits, however. I'm taking those and two boxes of different types of Milk Bones down to the shelter tomorrow. He also likes Marrow Bones.

Anonymous said...

As a dog lover and dog owner, I appreciate your info concerning the problems with the treats and I was quite relieved to hear that Cojack is doing well now. Your info could save many of us a lot of worry if it happened to our pets. Thanks

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends is the head of veterinary science at a leading vet. college and I spoke with him about this tonight. He air-pops popcorn for his dogs as a treat. Believe it or not they love it. Dogs tend to gulp their food so it's more about the "treat" than the "taste".

I tried it with my guy tonight and he was thrilled with a few well-flung morsels. Vet-Dr. suggested that you try it with Cojack as a low-cal, easily-digested addition to the usual market snacks.

Thanks for taking the surplus to the shelter, by the way. That's what we do once a month - we just buy a big bag (so we miss one fast-food meal out per month) and it helps the shelters immensely.

A.

Anonymous said...

Being an owner of several dogs, I appreciate your information on Cojack. Thanks again. And to the idiots that don't like what you write, DON'T READ IT!!! And by the way you idiots would be far better off reading about Cojack's shit rather than the shit you study on topix.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks for the good wishes - and the laugh. Even as I'm typing this, Cojack is up with his front paws on my lap and using his muzzle to pry my hands from the keyboard so that I'll come play with him or give him another snack. He had no more problems overnight and his appetite is back with a vengeance. It looks like the vet tech ahd it right. I sure hope so.