Monday, February 15, 2010

The Lion roars.

This comment from the president of the Kingsland Lions: Sir, I would invite you to to provide any beneficial critique or commentary about making the Kingsland Lions Club Annual Oyster Roast more successful to us in person or in writing, privately. There is little to be gained in service of the community or this civic organization with the dialogue as it has unfolded to date except the cultivation of animus and damaging of reputation. It is always more productive to praise in public and criticize in private. We will take your comments under advisement for next year. We appreciate very much, your continuing support of this event and the community and charities for which it is held. Respectfully, Dennis Keith President, Kingsland Lions Club Dear Mr. Keith, Thank you for your comment. I have a pretty good idea which of my political enemies put you up to it. Were you a willing co-conspirator or an unknowing dupe? If you have actually read my original critique( http://camdencommentary.blogspot.com/2010/02/kingsland-lions-club-oyster-roast.html ), you will know that I said it was generally well done; that the oysters were nice clean singles, roasted to perfection; that the hush puppies were the best I've ever eaten, etc. I will be back, whether your organization has the inclination to respond to my request to make the grounds wheelchair accessible or not. While I too am a native Southerner, (from Savannah), I really don't go with the Southern obsession with being "nice" to a fault. The fact is that your organization served up some nasty Brunswick stew and some downright disgusting swill foisted off as "crab bisque." That needed to be communicated to your organization. Obviously, my efforts to do so have been successful. Now, if you would like to keep such failures a secret in the future from patrons who shell out $25.00 per ticket, please send me your e-mail address (jaymor@tds.net). I will be happy to list it permanently on my blog so that in future, satisfied and / or dissatisfied patrons(I, for instance, was both) may contact you directly. You might find this helpful. This morning, during a phone call on another matter entirely, another attendee told me that she liked the Brunswick stew. When I described what was in mine and she described what was in hers, it became readily apparent that we had eaten stew from two different batches made, no doubt, by two different people. Perhaps you need to find out which recipe was good and have all volunteers use it. Frankly, the attempted crab bisque was so utterly disgusting, it needs to be scrapped altogether. Again, if you have actually read all of my comments, I've already suggested a good alternative and where to get the recipe. Better luck next year. Let's hope that next year, there will be good reason for my report to be all positive. Sincerely, Jay Moreno

2 comments:

DEK842 said...

Sir, I can assure you the comments and initiative to make them were my own and solely in the interest of civility regarding a charitable event. The positives did indeed greatly outweigh the negatives. Thank you for recognizing and reiterating that fact - see you next year!

Sincerely,

D. Keith

Jay Moreno said...

I'll be there. If you would like some advice n thne easiest and least expensive way to make the grounds wheel chair accessible, I'm in the phone book.