Monday, February 15, 2010

I'm glad you asked.

Recently, someone asked me, A, how in the world could I finance a campaign when I'm only on Social Security Disability Income, and B, wouldn't the income from being a commissioner knock out my SSDI? As to A, I don't believe that one should have to spend much to be elected to the CCBOC. I realize that the usual suspects will probably fund a barbecue or two for Charlene, but I don't believe in the Bill Smith model of buying votes with barbecue and booze. I've learned from previous experience that Thuggie scum will promptly destroy any campaign signs I would put out so why bother? My biggest expenditures, should I take the final decision to run, would be printing and postage - probably less than $1,000. As to B, that question will be a moot point if I am hired as a teacher but frankly, given the budget constraints for the near future, that does not look very promising for the next school year, even though I hold 4 state teaching certifications. Now, as luck would have it,the NET salary of a county commissioner is not sufficient to effect my SSDI. As an SSDI recipient(or a regular Social Security recipient, for that matter) you may earn up to $980.00 per month with no offset in benefits. By the time you deduct the before-tax health insurance premium and the allowable deduction for the cost of AT LEAST two trips to Woodbine every month, my income from the county would net out to less than $980.00. So now you know. P.S., Bear wth me if you already know this. If I am hired by the school system, there will be no conflict of interest. The school board is a taxing authority unto itself, totally independent of county government.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not fell that ANY commissioner should be able to have the county health ins. If you are elected why should the county take over your health charges?

Jay Moreno said...

Well, that is certainly your opinion and you are entitled to it -not that it will change the fact that it is part of the compensation package for commissioners. If it will make you feel any better (I'm kidding, of course), even though I will be paying the full premium, I will get little benefit from it. All of my expenses related to my Guillain Barre syndrome are covered by an annuity set up for that purpose by Workers' Comp. For any other illnesses, my Medicare will be primary and my county health insurance would be secondary, meaning it would only pick up what little bit Medicare did not pay.

Anonymous said...

If you will get very little benefit from the County Insurance, why would you bother to enroll in the program? Is it mandatory that you join the County Insurance Program?

Jay Moreno said...

I should have thought it was obvious but apparently not.

A. I canonly earn $980.00 per month without losing SSDI payments.

B. The insurance premiums are BEFORE TAX premiums. In other words, my reportable income from the county would be reduced every month by an amount equal to the insurance premium. That amount, plus the allowable mielage deduction for at least two mkonthly trips to Woodbine would ring my monthly NET income below the $980.00 threshold, thereby allowing me to afford to be a county comissioner.

As I stated previously, but your hate did not allow you to comprehend, when and if I'm hired by the school system, it wil be a moot point (do I have to explain thbat, too?) and I may well drop the coverage witht he county.