Saturday, February 13, 2010

Debunking a TOPIX lie about the county impact fees.

First, the falsehood: propertyowner Knoxville, TN Reply » Report Abuse Judge it! #20 Yesterday I am glad that they are considering dropping the impact fee. I own property in the county that already has a well, an electric pole, and sewer system. I previously had an older home on the lot, that was torn down due to age. When I went to apply for a permit to build another residence, I was informed of the impact fee. I can't understand why I should have to pay for infrastructure on my property that already has upgrades, the property is not in a subdivision. I feel like I am being punished for wanting to improve my property. Right now I pay taxes on the property that the county has listed as vacant. I would think they would rather have the "house" value taxed vs "vacant lot" taxed. The county would receive more return year after year. As it stands now, with the impact fees, I will not build. Now, the actual facts: 4.01. Construction Not Subject to Impact Fees. The following projects and construction activities do not constitute “development” as defined in this Ordinance, and are therefore not subject to the imposition of impact fees: 1. Rebuilding no more than the same number of units of development as defined in this Ordinance that were removed by demolition, or destroyed by fire or other catastrophe, on the same lot or property. 2. Remodeling or repairing a structure that does not result in an increase in the number of units of development. 3. Replacing a residential housing unit with another housing unit on the same lot or property. 4. Placing or replacing a manufactured home in a manufactured home park on a prepared manufactured home pad in existence and operation prior to the effective date of this Ordinance. 5. Placing a temporary construction or sales office on a lot during the period of construction or build-out of a development project. 6. Constructing an addition to or expansion of a residential housing unit that does not increase the number of housing units. 7. Adding uses that are typically accessory to residential uses and intended for the personal use of the residents, such as a deck or patio, satellite antenna, pet enclosure, or private recreational facilities such as a swimming pool.

No comments: