Thursday, February 18, 2010

Man, that was a tough one!

Y'all might recall my telling you that I was taking a college course at the moment under the free tuition for seniors, 62 and older, program. If you will recall, the deal is that you can not register until the morning of the first day of class so that you can see what classes have "space available." The only thing of any remote interest to me or that I had not already taken was a freshman level Intro to Business course. I figured that seeing as how I had already taken a number of upper division business courses on the way to my Bachelor of General Studies, I might as well knock out a BBA now that College of Coastal Georgia offers it. Well, we had our first test on the first six chapters of the text this afternoon. The class runs and hour and 15 minutes twice a week. Th professor gives all "open book" tests in this course. No - you heard me right. Now, today, seeing as how it was the first test, he decided to give only 33 multiple choice questions instead of his usual 4o. Moreover, he decided to allow us the whole class period instead of his usual hour. As he was passing out the tests, he said that some in his other class, which took the test earlier in the week, had finished as little as 30 minutes. He said that sort of incredulously. He went on to give test taking advice, i.e., answer the ones you know, then look up the rest in the text. Well, as you probably guessed, I was finished in 8 minutes, or 14.54 seconds per question, AND never took my book out. I aced it, of course. When I rolled up to his desk to turn it in, I think maybe he thought I had to go to the restroom or something. He was astonished when I said "See ya next week" and turned it in. Now, I understand that College of Coastal Georgia is (so far) an open enrollment college where a GED and record setting low SATs will get you in the door, but don't y'all think that the test conditions I've just described are just a tad on the overly easy side? P.S., Next semester, if I'm accepted, I'll being starting a graduate level program (also free) through Valdosta State University, leading to a Master of Public Adminsitration (MPA) degree. That would be the degree that folks like professional county and city managers have. Oh, yeah: in April, I will start the Camden County Citizens Academy course. I wanted to do the first one, but I was doing my student teaching at the time. I'll "graduate" from that about a week or so after the November general election.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jay did you read the opinion piece by your man David Keating? According to the language he does understand what a JDA is SUPPOSE to do. What I failed to read in the article was his plan to get Camden County there. 77% of Camdens tax digest is residential. And every municipality is talking about adding more roof tops. When will change be implemented when the County becomes 80/20.

I posted this under this topic because you have'nt posted a thread or hyper-link to the article. Sorry in advance.

Jay Moreno said...

Unfortunately,with new e-edition of the T&G, I can't hyperlink to just one article. It givesmy readers access to the whole e-edition. I willourse not do that to the T&G. A, it would be unethical, and B, illegal.

David Keating has come miles from where he started - with absolutely nothing. Let's give him a full year. So far, he is doing everything that needs to be done as fast as he can do it.

Anonymous said...

"Well, as you probably guessed, I was finished in 8 minutes, or 14.54 seconds per question, AND never took my book out. I aced it, of course."

Oh, please. Try to contain that bloated ego of yours. We keep getting ambushed by nausea. Knock off a few Master's level courses and get back to us.

Anonymous said...

Many college courses have been "dumbed" down so much at the community college level that any person who attends classes can make an "A". It's basically high school, but in many ways easier.

Jay Moreno said...

Re: dumbed down college course, I have to agree.

RE: masters level courses. My friend, I will run through those like crap through a goose.