Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kingsland Lions' Club oyster roast.

The event was well done, for the most part. It was supposed to run from 6:00 to 8:00. I got there about 5:30 to get a good, wheelchair friendly spot. Jim and Ginna Stein and state senate candidate Terry Carter were arriving at the very same time. I was very disappointed to find that in spite of my request, the Lions had made no effort to make it possible to me to get my wheelchair over the curb. About three weeks ago, the day the add came out in the T&G, I called the number listed for info. It turns out that was the number for Hippo Storage. There, I spoke to Lion Jim somebody, who I presume owns Hippo. I told him of the very difficult time I had attending the first time and how he and his fellow Lions could solve the problem with about two sacks of Sakrete and thirty minutes of labor. He immediately asked if I had bought my ticket yet. I said no, that I had planned on paying cash when I arrived. He said that they would really prefer that I buy the ticket ahead of time. Okay, two days later, I dropped by the original Hippo location. I asked for Jim, but he was at the other location. I bought the ticket and asked the lady I bought it from - probably his wife - to tell him the guy in the wheelchair had indeed come in and bought his ticket. A week or so later, there was a piece in the T&G about the formation of a St. Marys Lions Club. It noted that the Lions look out for blind folks in particular and disabled folks in general. Well, you could have sure fooled me. Anyway, this year, unlike my first year, the ground was dry. I was able to go out into the street, ride way down to the railroad tracks, come across the grass , and avoid the curb. The first time, it was wet and I got stuck. The oysters were large, clean, succulent singles for the most part, and cooked just exactly the right amount of time. By the way, Alex, they are alive when they put them over the fire. I'll bet if you and your PETA pals listened very closely, you could hear them scream! They had the best hush puppies I've ever eaten - and that is saying something. The desserts were probably all good. My brownie was. However, the crab bisque and Brunswick stew were both gawd-awful. All seven of us at my table tried it and all seven of us threw it away. The bisque was water thin and tasted like it was made from dishwater and vinegar that a crab had swam through quickly. The Brunswick stew had enough vinegar to gag a maggot. Vinegar in Brunswick stew ??? Let someone else do those next year. It was well worth the $25.00, even if at least one Lion really doesn't give a damn whether it's wheel chair accessible or not. Oh, and by the way, I had very civil conversation with everyone at my table, including Deb Hase who stopped by just as I was leaving. Her husband Ken was up on stage playing a mean guitar and singing with a group. I had no idea. Epilogue: It's now Sunday morning. I was up at 0400 HRS this morning belching the distinctly nasty taste of that awful attempt at crab bisque and searching for the Pepto Bismol.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The oysters were good and it was a great crowd. I also got to meet Terry Carter and I look forward to being able to vote for him. Seems like he knew more people there than I did. What impressed me most was how he made it the hard way. I was talking to a guy from St. Marys who knew mutal friends of Carter from Reidsville and he filled me on Terry's back ground. He was orphaned, eventually raised by his Grandmother and became a successful businessman. Carter certainly knew what economic hell we are going through and understood that we needed jobs, less, governement and less taxes. He carried Camden County when he ran against Jeff Chapman and that was enough for me.

Jay Moreno said...

Terry spent most of the night at our table with Jim and Ginna Stein and a host of Jim's friends who dropped by the table. I had the opportunity to talk with Terry at some length. He struck me as a very personable and intelligent guy.

Anonymous said...

Jay, again, I find my self agreeing with you. Terry Carted did come across as being a personable and intelligent fellow. He certainly demonstrated to myself, husband and our crowd that he has the maturity, experience and ability to be a good senator. He certainly seemed to be respected by all that knew him.

Anonymous said...

Jay, again, I find myself agreeing with you. My husband,our crowd and all those that had the opportunity at our table to meet Carter were impressed. He certainly seemed to have the experience and maturity to be a good senator. Also, in speaking with others who knew Terry I got favorable responses.

Anonymous said...

Terry Carter should be given a oppourtunity. After several conversations with him I voted for him in the last election and I intend to vote for him this time.

Jeff Chapman and Cecily Hill need to be replaced. And if David Keating does'nt start showing some results his position needs to be looked at also. Thus far, he only goes around and jumps on Kingslands bandwagon (after they have solidified a deal).

Anonymous said...

I find this commentary disheartening. I personnally know the individual who made the brusnwick stew...he spent his own time and money to make a terrific event successful. Jay, you continuually take a 'glass helf full' approach most everything. I understand you prior comments regarding my establishment, and given that it is a for profit business, I should expect and take the hits...but to take a cheap shot at Coach Thomason and his Bruswick Stew is uncalled for and shameful. Maybe you could take the challenge next year and join the team that puts this tremendous efoort forth rather than attending to eat and find fault. I think your physical handicap is not your greatest, but rather your search for the worse in every siuation must be very painful. i know I can expect retribution for my comments, but Coach is a fabulous human being whose acts of kindlesss are endless and I am willing to take my chances. Linda Cagle, Steffens owner

Anonymous said...

Jay, with all due respect, I find your commentary on the event to be disheartening but not surprising. Based on my previous experience, you look for fault in every observation. I know the person who made the Bruswick Stew, This person spends endless hours helping others. He donates all his own resources and pours his heart and soul into all he does. So, even if you didn't like the Stew, can't you be so kind and to keep bad thoughts to yourself. Keep in mind that these people are not being paid for this activity, it is charitable. I can accept your prior cheap shots at me, but I must object at your shots at my good friend Coach Thomason. Spend time and taking away from people who just want to help others in uncalled for. It might help if you donated your time and effort into helping others rather than write negative blogs...I think negativity in itself is a handicap and looking for more good that bsd can change your world. Appreciate & applaud good people and their efforts rather than critique the food. Linda Cagle, owner, Steffens

Jay Moreno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay Moreno said...

(Corrected version)

Well, Ms. Cagle, I must say that I am not at all surprised that you took this attitude. You are infamous throughout the community for being completely impervious to well meaning constructuve criticism aimed at helping you overcome the culinary handicap of not being born and reared in the South, as is evidenced by your failed attempts to replicate authentic Southern cuisine at both of your restaurants -and being a classicly obnoxious "damn Yankee" in the process.

Hopefully, unlike you, Coach Thomason will actually benefit from my report that all seven individuals at my table, local, native Southerners all, took one or two spoonfuls - the second in an attempt to guess what made the first so nasty - then threw it away. Ditto for the far worse crab bisque. Some of us thought it had been scorched, but I believe it had something weird in it, like a lot of vinegar. While I would have expected such slop at either of your establishments, I was quite surprised to find it at such an otherwise well porduced event with excelleent, clean single oysters, roasted to perfection, delicious boiled shrimp, great hushpuppies, a good selection of delicious desserts, and really helpful volunteers.

If this coach would talk to either Kathy or Janie at Aunt B's, I'm sure they would be glads to put him together with their cook who makes a truly outstanding, authentic Brunswick stew - one of the best I've ever eaten, in fact.

As to that truly disastrous, Japanese prisoner of war camp quality crab bisque, that might need to be scrapped altogether. Was that one of your recipes? Again, Aunt B's has the answer. Simply replace it with the recipe they use at Aunt B's to make a delicious seafood chowder, served on Saturdays.

As to your suggestion that I help the Kingsland Lions Club, the fact is that given the nature of what needs to be done to put that event on, I would be more in the way than a help. However, I have bought tickets and attended twice now. I have attempted to help out by suggesting to one of their members how they could, for less than the cost of one ticket, make their facility wheelchair accessible. While it is true that I had that discussion with only one Lion, he chose to ignore my request, much as you infamously not only reject and ignore any suggestions, but tell off the customers who make them. But trust me, had they done so, I would still have given the same honest critique of the awful Brunswick stew and disgusting crab bisque.

February 11, 2010 8:14 AM

DEK842 said...

Sir,

I would invite you to to provide any beneficial critique or commentary about making the Kingsland Lions Club Annual Oyster Roast more successful to us in person or in writing, privately. There is little to be gained in service of the community or this civic organization with the dialogue as it has unfolded to date except the cultivation of animus and damaging of reputation. It is always more productive to praise in public and criticize in private. We will take your comments under advisement for next year. We appreciate very much, your continuing support of this event and the community and charities for which it is held.

Respectfully,

Dennis Keith
President, Kingsland Lions Club