Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday sign survey.

Folks, I've been out and about since about 1:00 PM today, when I had some delicious shrimp and vegetables down at Aunt B's. Just as a side note, my anecdotal observations of today and the last couple of weeks tell me that the ladies' business is definitely a bit off between rising food prices and the cost of gasoline. I was commenting to my waitress about how much I liked the limes in the iced tea. She said that they switch back and forth between limes and lemons depending upon the price. A box of lemons that was $110.00 a month ago now commands $40.00! Anyway, back to the the subject at hand - my sign survey. I left Aunt B's about 1:30. I went up Kings Bay Rd. to Hwy 40 , then east on 40 to make the loop through downtown St. Marys. Then I went back west on 40 to Hwy 17, south on 17 to Steffens, where I turned around and went north on 17 to the foot of the bridge at the Satilla River. I then came back down Hwy 17 to Hwy 40, west on 40 to Vacuna Rd, then Vacuna Rd. on back home by way of St. Marys Rd. Now, on that tour, I saw at least 150, if not 200 Bill Smith signs in front of both businesses and homes. In that same distance, I saw, at best, 15 Tommy Gregory signs. About 1/3 of those were on business lots where the business man was covering his bets by having both Gregory and Smith signs. One exception was the two large signs I mentioned the other day in front of the law offices of Morgan and Urquhart. Another third of Tommy's signs were just off the right of way on vacant properties. The final third were all on lawns in all-white neighborhoods. Other than the three Gregory decals on my van, there were no Gregory decals to be seen in Camden County today. I saw some old redneck riding around in a red Jeep festooned with an American flag and a big, strapped-on Bill Smith sign on top. That was in Kingsland at Hwy 17 and Vacuna Rd. Oh, and by the way, one of those old, vacant office suites right next dooor to Century 21 Tri-City Realty in St. Marys now sports a huge banner proclaiming it to be the "Campaign Volunteer Headquarters" for the Bill Smith campaign. There was not a soul there this afternoon. So, the ratio of Smith signs to Gregory signs is AT LEAST 10 to 1. Tommy, I'm sure you read this every day. I know damned well that you have personally put out or given out more than 15 yard signs. I can understand your not wanting to be seen as whining, but if, in fact, Thuggies, with no doubt the full blessing and encouragement of Bill Smith, are stealing your campaign signs at the prodigious rate it would appear that they must be, I think that the voters need to know it. So, tell us, if you will, how may signs you estimate you have either placed or given to people to place since you started. (jaymor@tds.net). Thanks. P.S., I almost forgot: When I passed by Blue's barbecue, the smoker was smoking and there were cars in the lot. Y'all reckon Big Thug has already let "Blue" out on pre-trial, pre-election furloughs!?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The volunteer center was probably closed because Sandy and Mary Ann had to run to K-Mart to get a new outfit for the big BBQ fund raiser at Kenneth Gay's tonight.

Now did you say the smokers were cooking away at Blues BBQ?

Ain't things great at thuggie central.

Anonymous said...

I guess they closed up the volunteer office a little early so Ginger and Mary Ann could run to K-Mart and get a new outfit for the big fund raiser at Kenneth Gay's tonight.

Hmmmm, I wonder if BBQ will be on the menu?

Jay Moreno said...

I'm sure I'll get a report - maybe even a "first person" report - from Main Mole.

Anonymous said...

Well it appears that the good ole boy's are still out there supporting one of their own. I guess this will go on and on here until all of those old farts die. Guess they like these get-to-gethers so they can all talk about the good old days when they all worked at Gilman Paper Co. and Gilman controlled everythng including the politics in this county. Hope we have enough new people and some old ones that have seen the light and will vote against the old time politicians namely Bill Smith.

Anonymous said...

I don't think "Blue" is even being held at the Camden Co Jail. Someone may need to call and find out? It is public record!!! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I was told by a very reliable source that Tommy is loosing approximately 100 signs a day to the thuggies. Also Blue has been moved to Glynn Co. because of all the Spead relatives that are on the Sheriff's payroll.

Anonymous said...

I work for the road dept. and Tommy and Bill, as well as others are losing many to the DOT for having signs in the right of way. If they get picked up, all the candidate has to do is go to Woodbine and pick them up.

Jay Moreno said...

i don't doubt that a bit in the world. When I ran for St. marys City Council in '95, I had roughly 600 signs torn down and ripped up. I coaught some of the culprits red handed one day. It was raining, It suddenly occurred to me that that might strike the scum as a good time top be out tering down my signs. I got in my car to go look. I only had to drive as far as a phone pole on Colerain just across from Crayons Academy when I caught
there young men -late teens - early twneties - up in the bed of the truck, in the process of pulling down one of my signs. They just grinned and drove off. No problem - I recognized the truck immediately. It belonged to big time union official thug down at the mill who had called me drunk, complaining about one of my signs on a pole in front of his house. The only reason I'm not giving his name is because I can't remember it right at the moment. But I do know this - said thug is now an offical Thuggie and a deputy with the CCSO!

Jay Moreno said...

I just remembered - Spangler.

Anonymous said...

There was one of willies regulars driving his ols beat up ford tractor down harrietts bluff road holding up traffic with his Bill Smith signs putting them up and down the road. Also noticed the 4 signs Tommy had up in some drive ways and yards wis missing, you reckon the night shift picked them up, so willie can reign supreme with his signs? They better enjoy it because after July 15th they are history.

Jay Moreno said...

So there you have it, folks: anecdotal evidence that Thuggie scum are not only yanking up the Grfegroy signs off the edge of the road (all of Tommy's signs I've ever seen have been just beyond the right-of-way), but out of people's yards.

Anonymous said...

Quote"
So there you have it, folks: anecdotal evidence that Thuggie scum are not only yanking up the Grfegroy signs off the edge of the road (all of Tommy's signs I've ever seen have been just beyond the right-of-way), but out of people's yards."

C'mon Jay, just to play devils advocate, but to say all of Tommys signs are out of the right of way is stretching it a bit. We all know that A L L candidates have signs illeagaly placed.

Jay Moreno said...

I say again, any Gregory signs I have ever seemn which were along the side of the road - as opposed to clearly on someone's private property - were clearly and deliberately placed just on the legal side of the edge of the right-of-way. That is a true statement. Ergo, either all Tommy Gregory signs are placed off of the right of way or those that have been placed in the right of way have already been either removed by the DOT or the city marshall by the time I drive by.

So, you see, my statement,"all of Tommy's signs I've ever SEEN have been just beyond the right-of-way" being absolutely true is entirely possible.

Jay Moreno said...

P.S.,

Or, stolen by Thuggies.

Anonymous said...

Last week on Scrubby Bluff Road I observed numerous Gregory signs just beyond the right of way. I observed one in particular at the intersection of Scrubby and Alvah Brazil Road. Strangely enough just today while riding the same route as last week, I observed the Gregory sign had been removed and a Smith sign was placed in the exact location as was the Gregory sign the previous week. Now I ask was this just a mere coincidence or just down right dirty politics? You be the judge.

Jay Moreno said...

Based upon my personal observations, yours, and several anecdotal observations from TOPIX, I am convinced that there is an aggressive and organized campaign to steal Gregory signs from private property -off of the right-of-way - and brazenly replace them with Smith signs. There are reports of an individual bearing a strong resemblance to Sidney Howell - complete with the limp - openly driving the infamous hand-painted Smith campaign truck while picking up Gregory signs. Bill Smiht is unquestionably aware of this thuggery and approves it wholeheartedly.

I call them Thuggies. Any questions?

Anonymous said...

My two Tommy G signs have been up nearly a week now. But, maybe the opposition has seen my hidden cameras. Hee, hee.