Thursday, May 15, 2008

New concealed carry law.

Here's the link to an article on the new law in today's Savannah Morning News and Evening Press. http://savannahnow.com/node/497828 I just got of the phone with Judge Martin Gillette. With the law being just passed yesterday, he has not yet received anything official from the state on it. What I was particularly curious about was the part that said you could keep your weapon in your car on any publicly accessible parking lot. Well, the parking lots of public schools and colleges are publicly accessible parking lots. Does that mean I can now carry my pistol when I go to college in Brunswick, so long as I leave it in the car? How about public school teachers - and parents, for that matter? The judge seems to think - as do I - that the prior strict prohibition of guns on campus was not only a Georgia law, but a federal law as well. Ergo, guns on school parking lots may still be verboten. The judge will let me know as soon as he gets official word. Permit holders may now carry in state parks. How about local parks? Permit holders may carry in restaurants that serve alcohol by the drink, so long as liquor sales constitute less than 50% of establishment's gross revenues. The armed patron may not imbibe, of course. Bona fide bars are still off limits. Anyone out there who knows for a certainty what the new law says vis-a-vis public school parking lots?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought if a restraunt served more than 50% it was up to the establishment on whether they allowed you to carry or not. I just heard about this today on Neal Boortz

Jay Moreno said...

Please clarify: more than 50% what - food or liquor?

Anonymous said...

If they serve more than 50% liquor then it is their choice if they allow to carry or not.

Jay Moreno said...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm about 99.99% certain that you have it exactly backwards.

If the establishmnet derives more than 50% of their gross revenues from the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises, they are a de facto bar. One was never allowed to carry a firearm into a bar. That has not changed.

What has changed is that in the case of a restaurant which derives less than 50 % of it's revenues from liquor sales - or more than 50% from food sales, if you prefer - a holder of a valid Georgia concealed weapons permit may patronize said establishmnet, so long as the armed permit holder does not imbibe alcohol.

I just retrieved my hard copy of today's GTU from the trash. The front page article on the bill there states that in Georgia, under the new law, such restaurants that qualify as per the preceeding paragraph may "opt out" by placing a conspicuous "No Guns Allowed" sign at their front door.

Now, if you were some demented soul bent on killing folks, wouldn't you seek out a crowded restaurant with exactly such a sign? For that reason and the fact that the idea of some leftie restuarateur presuming to piss upon my Second Amendment rights,I would never patronize such an establishment.

On the other hand, if one had a sign saying "Inform your server that you're armed and recieve a 10% discount," I would make a point of going there often.